Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1980 Monte Carlos cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Default 1980 Monte Carlos cranks but wont start

Good morning all,
I'm the proud owner of a 1980 MC T-Top, but I need the some help. I live in Cali and as you guys know we need to smog our MC, I took my MC to get it smog and didn't pass the test. I started changing some basic stuff, like spark plugs, wire, oil change, distributor cap and the EGR. Well I took it back to re-test and the problem was there still. The problem is the EGR passage in the intake manifold is clogged. What I did bought some carb cleaner removed the EGR spray the opening poke the passages with a wire, removed the carburetor. When I assemble everything back to start the car actually It did start then after a minute i turn it of when I try to start the card back again that is when I encounter the problem. the car just cranks but wont start I have no idea what I did or move, If anyone can give me some advise on what to check or move to make it start again it would be really

nice.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ramy73
Good morning all,
I'm the proud owner of a 1980 MC T-Top, but I need the some help. I live in Cali and as you guys know we need to smog our MC, I took my MC to get it smog and didn't pass the test. I started changing some basic stuff, like spark plugs, wire, oil change, distributor cap and the EGR. Well I took it back to re-test and the problem was there still. The problem is the EGR passage in the intake manifold is clogged. What I did bought some carb cleaner removed the EGR spray the opening poke the passages with a wire, removed the carburetor. When I assemble everything back to start the car actually It did start then after a minute i turn it of when I try to start the card back again that is when I encounter the problem. the car just cranks but wont start I have no idea what I did or move, If anyone can give me some advise on what to check or move to make it start again it would be really

nice.
Nice looking car! Most likely a small block Chevy motor in this. So if it fired up once after all the cleaning, but now it cranks and won't start it is most likely a fuel issue. the fuel pump on this car is usually on the engine block and the fuel filters are usually inside the Carburetor. this might be something you could check. It also needs to breath so check to see if the Air filter is clean and clear. Sometimes the Vacuum line at the Carburetor that also goes to the distributor could be off and this causes some issues too. Back in the Day I used to own several V-8 chevy's and tuned them up at the track. If you messed with the distributor in positioning they will not start, or if the gear at the bottom of it has broken or slipped it won't either.
I am trying to recall from over 47 years back at this. I will do a little research and see if there could be something else. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Thank for the advice. I will check tomorrow for those points to see if I miss something