Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): '01 ABS control module story and questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 03:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Question '01 ABS control module story and questions

Greetings all, I have found my password so I am back.
I have an '04 MOC SS (Red), now used for parts, and an '01 MOC SS (Black) that is my driver.
ABS and trax lights have started coming on sometimes when I start it. This is before I go anywhere. Doesn't seem to matter if wheel is straight or turned, rainy or dry, etc.
The lights either come on when I start it, or they don't come on at all. They never come on or go off when I am driving down the road.
Brought it to the shop. he says it's a bad ABS control module. I asked about wheel sensors, hubs, grounds, wires, wires leading to the sensors; he says it's not those, it's the control module (I have previously had some wiring replaced on this vehicle).
Given how/when the lights come on, does that seem likely?
And... does the '01 MOC SS take the same ABS module as the '04 MOC SS?
I ask that because I have a relatively new ('14) electronic brake control module in the red parts car. I happen to have that because I brought Red to the dealership to track down the ABS/trax light. Replaced hub, still no go. They told me it was module. If I remember right it was $1200 plus labor? Drove it off the lot and the light came on again. I turned around and handed them the keys back. It turned out to be sensor or wiring or something. Anyway, they didn't charge me for the module. (PS, I found another place to work on my car after that.)
So my next question is, how hard is it to remove the module from the '04, IF it would fit in the '01?
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2021, 09:00 PM

I have not done this job so I will defer to someone who has but Rockauto lists the same refurbished part number for both years. The EBCM is between the master cylinder and the strut tower underneath the cruise control module. It has a wiring harness coming out of the front.
Here is the procedure for removing it; it doesn't look to be that complicated. I don't recommend attempting it on your driver if you are not experienced with removing parts and harnesses. There are four screws holding it to the BPMV. I couldn't post the illustrations. Given that the refurbished part is over $300, I will be putting this on my list for Pick n Pull's next half price sale.

Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure
NOTE: To prevent equipment damage, never connect or
disconnect the wiring harness connection from the EBCM with the
ignition switch in the ON position.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Remove the fuel injector sight shield, 3.8L engine only. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield
Replacement in Engine Mechanical -3.8L.
3. Remove the front fender upper diagonal brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Front Fender Upper
Diagonal in Body Front End.
4. Disconnect the accelerator and cruise control cable from the accelerator control cable bracket.
5. Disconnect the cruise control module from the left strut tower. It is not necessary to remove the cable
from the module. Refer to Cruise Control Module Replacement in Cruise Control. Position the module
and cables aside.
6. Remove the air cleaner intake duct.
7. Fig 10: Identifying Connector Position Assurance (CPA) Locking Tab And Connector Sliding Cover
Lock Tab

Disengage the red locking tab (1) from connector lock tab.
8. Push down lock tab and then move sliding connector cover (2) to the open position.
9. Disconnect the EBCM harness connector.
10. Remove any dirt/debris from the assembly.
11.Remove the 4 EBCM to BPMV retainers.
12. IMPORTANT: Do not pry apart using a tool. Be careful not
to damage BPMV surface.
IMPORTANT: Care must be taken not to damage the
solenoid valves when the EBCM is removed from the BPMV.
Separate the EBCM from the BPMV by gently pulling apart until separated.
Install the EBCM to the BPMV.
2. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
Install the 4 retainers that attach the EBCM to BPMV.
Tighten: Tighten the retainers to 5 N.m (44 lb in).
3. Fig 13: Identifying Connector Position Assurance (CPA) Locking Tab And Connector Sliding Cover
Lock Tab

Connect the EBCM harness connector.
4. Push down lock tab (1) and then move sliding connector cover (2) back in the home position to lock.
5. Reengage the red locking tab (1) to the connected lock tab.
6. Install the air cleaner intake duct.
7. Reposition the module and cables. Connect the cruise control module to the left strut tower. Refer to
Cruise Control Module Replacement in Cruise Control.
8. Connect the accelerator and cruise control cable to the accelerator control cable bracket.
9. Install the front fender upper diagonal brace. Refer to Brace Replacement - Front Fender Upper
Diagonal in Body Front End.
10. Install the fuel injector sight shield, 3.8L engine only. Refer to Fuel Injector Sight Shield Replacement
in Engine Mechanical-3.8L.
11. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, do not start engine.
12. Perform the Diagnostic System Check - ABS .

Old 09-28-2021, 03:27 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks, Glen, I appreciate the help.
Anybody got an opinion on whether the EBCM is indeed the problem?