Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction/abs light tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Default Traction/abs light tip

Round about May or June of last year my 2003 M/C SS got a traction/abs light illuminate. I drove the car down to the Chevrolet house and had them diagnosis my problem and they told me it would need the traction control module replaced to the tune of over $1000 dollars. I said thanks but no thanks. I brought the car home and decided to get my good old ball peen hammer out and percussion adjust the ABS/TCM module which attaches to the forward portion of the ABS module. Well the light extinguished and until Saturday when I did a complete flush of my brake system has not illuminated. Well the light 15 months later came on again after the flush. I again got my good old hammer out and tapped on the module and the light extinguished again. I guess the moral of the story I am getting out is before you go out a spend big bucks on this traction control module try tapping on it like I did and it could just save you a bundle of cash.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Thumbs down

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard of man. Clearly there is a problem with the EBCM. Hitting it with a hammer.....wow your mechanical skills must set you apart from the other guys that live in your 200 BC cave.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You could also just have a lose or dirty connection. Just find out which tire was pulling the code and check all the wiring.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard of man. Clearly there is a problem with the EBCM. Hitting it with a hammer.....wow your mechanical skills must set you apart from the other guys that live in your 200 BC cave.
Huh? Awesome attitude.

I like his approach. Why would there be a problem with the BCM?

If worst comes to worst, he'd lose ABS for awhile (not a big deal, I drive around purposely without ABS alot) and he'd have to replace the ABS module that they wanted to replace in the first place.

You could also just have a lose or dirty connection. Just find out which tire was pulling the code and check all the wiring.
That is usually the most likely culprit for this code, but in his case I doubt it since the "hammer method" resolved it. ABS modules tend to be very finicky regarding the fluid in them- if they think theres an air pocket, they throw a code. When they're going bad they sometimes think there's an air pocket when there's not- which is probably what happened here.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM

justin knight
There is not a problem with my body control module. My post pertained to the brake control module which ataches to the ABS module. Gm diagnosed my problem to be the brake control module per the code. I am just giving a tip as to what cured my cars problem for over a year and recured it last week after I did a complete flush of the system. I did originally did remove and clean the connector plug which did not extinguish the light. Y'all can spend your hard earned dollars to replace this module if you feel it is a problem. I was only stating what I found to cure my problem. I am not telling you to beat the s__t out of it just lightly tap on it.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
What's so dumb about it? You mean to tell me you've never tapped on something that wasn't working either with a hammer or whatever just to see if you could get it going. What's wrong with tapping on it?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd just cover the light with electrical tape and love not having ABS, but that's just me

Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 AM

I've learned to just ignore the ABS light. As zipper probably well knows, our traction control systems are a real bitch once you start making decent power.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 PM

First off the EBCM stands for electronic brake control module and is the abs module and I agree that a hub or a connection could be the fault in this case. Hitting things with a hammer can be a useful method of diagnosing a problem but is no fix in the long term or short.
There is also a ground under the air breather that can be dirty. My only point is hitting the EBCM with a hammer is not a good tip for repairing it. And if there was a trouble code and the dealership diagnosed it properly which I would expect them to do for that kinda $$$ then having it replaced is expensive but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by wnmech
Round about May or June of last year my 2003 M/C SS got a traction/abs light illuminate. I drove the car down to the Chevrolet house and had them diagnosis my problem and they told me it would need the traction control module replaced to the tune of over $1000 dollars. I said thanks but no thanks. I brought the car home and decided to get my good old ball peen hammer out and percussion adjust the ABS/TCM module which attaches to the forward portion of the ABS module. Well the light extinguished and until Saturday when I did a complete flush of my brake system has not illuminated. Well the light 15 months later came on again after the flush. I again got my good old hammer out and tapped on the module and the light extinguished again. I guess the moral of the story I am getting out is before you go out a spend big bucks on this traction control module try tapping on it like I did and it could just save you a bundle of cash.
I am new here, well new in a sense that this is my first post. I've been reading on how to fix my 2000 Monte LS for a while now. Thank You for this idea. My ABS light has been on for some time now, started coming on in rainy weather then more and more, then finally stayed on for good. It was on my to-do list for a while now. Shook the wiring harness on ABS module, Voila!! Lights out! I plan on cleaning terminals and ground and hopefully will be my cheapest fix ever. Thanks
Marc