Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

~ Preventive Maintenance : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ~ Preventive Maintenance : )

[align=center]MCF Member's,[/align][align=center]Do you comply to the below ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Preventive Maintenance[/align][align=center]

[/align][align=center]The following services are recommended at the listed times or mileages. These recommendations are only for preventive maintence to avoid unexpected breakdowns and extend the life of your car. Vehicle maintenance schedules differ from vehicle to vehicle, so it is always best to consult your owner's manual.[/align][align=center][:-]
Oil / Lube / Filter
3 months or 3,000 miles

Tire Rotation
6,000 miles

Air Conditioning
Check every spring

Radiator
Flush every fall

Valves
Adjust as per owner's manual

Battery Service
Yearly or as needed

Brake System Or Clutch Flush
Yearly or as needed

Fuel Filter
Yearly or as needed

Whole Car Diagnosis
Yearly and prior to purchase

Transmission Service
2 years or 24,000 miles

Power Steering Flush
2 years or 24,000 miles

EGR Service
2 years or 24,000 miles

Computer Code Check
After M-I-L illuminates

Pack Wheel Bearings
2 years or 24,000 miles

Induction System Cleaning
2 years or 30,000 miles or as needed

Throttle Plate Service
2 years or 30,000 miles or as needed

Oxygen Sensor
Per owner's manual or as needed

Radiator & Heater Hoses
4 years or 60,000 miles

Drive Belts
4 years or 60,000 miles

Timing Belt
60,000 miles or per owner's manual

Differential Fluid Service
5 years or 50,000 miles[/align][align=center]Top 10 Winter Car Care Tips[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][ol][*][align=center]Car Battery
Take your vehicle to a qualified technician, who will perform a heavy-load test procedure. This is especially important if your car still has its original battery and has been in service for three or more years.
[/align][*][align=center]Electrical System
Have your car's electrical system tested by a qualified technician.
[/align][*][align=center]Radiator
Check for adequate anti-freeze/coolant. The first really cold day could be too late and too late can cost you a new engine.
[/align][*][align=center]Tires
Tire pressure and tread depth mean good traction. The more your tires are worn, the less traction you'll have when it snows. As the temperature drops, so does tire pressure, so check tires regularly.
[/align][*][align=center]Lights
Winter days are shorter and darker. If other drivers can't see you because of a blown bulb, you could put yourself and others at risk.
[/align][*][align=center]Brakes
Have your brakes checked by a qualified technician. You don't want to discover bad brakes in the middle of a panic stop on a cold, slippery day.
[/align][*][align=center]Winter Wiper Blades
Yes, WINTER wiper blades. Purchase these ingenious devices with a thin, rubber membrane - they shed snow and ice to prevent clogging. Used only during winter, they can last several years.
[/align][*][align=center]Windshield Washer Fluid
Fill windshield washer reservoir with proper WINDSHIELD WASHER anti-freeze.
[/align][*][align=center][b]Rubber Weather Stripping
Spray silicone lubricant on rubber weather stripping around door

Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: ~ Preventive Maintenance : )

[align=center][/align][align=center]Member's post your tips/suggestions for PM[/align][align=center]It's better to be Safe, then Sorry [X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Protection helps in so many ways.[/align][align=center]da -da[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It can be very expensive, `if you don't protect your car/_____, when you `drive : )[/align][align=center]Oh, don't spill any fluids []It can cause damage [X(][/align][align=center][:'(]*Note 2 `Space[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]....Practice, what you Preach [/align][align=center][/align]

Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 PM

God no, not even close. Transmission will be done around 60,000 and timing will get changed when it fails or starts to cause problems.

I pretty much go with that. Once there is a noticeable change in performance or is getting close to failure I fix it. Hell my Fiero made it 235,000 miles before I sold it with changing the transmission fluid twice, oil roughly every 4,000 miles, and 3 alternators. Everything else was great and I mean 0 problems... Oh, and 2 spark plug/wire changes.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:08 AM

I don't think anyone with a job/family/life does all of this. However, preventative maintenance is just that. The old saying, "don't fix it unless it's broke" holds true a lot of the time. Changing your lubricative fluids is probably the most important, oil and tranny fluid. Pressure fluids like power steering and freon (I know that transmission fluid could also be considered a pressure fluid, mark it in the between category) are less important to change as frequently. I would also consider tire rotation important, both for tire life, performance and even mileage advantages. However, some things like valves, are something I'll never touch. Number one there's no need to, number two, there are advanced, self adjusting hydraulic lifters. In the days of noisy high-performance solid lifters without positive locking adjustable rocker studs, rocker maintenance was a necessity. Same things with wheel bearing and other chassis pivot points; everything is now sealed and requires no maintenance other than making sure the seals are intact. Everyone has their own opinions on these items, but as 04 Intimidator mentioned, chaning your oil and filter is the single biggest thing you can do to prolong your engine life.

P.S. Check your tire pressure too, something I didn't see on the list.