General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Anybody else have this maintenance issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Default Anybody else have this maintenance issue?

Alright, here's the deal: I've got a 2006 Monte SS, only 2 months old. Its got all the fancy shmancy gadgets. About 6 weeks ago the dash computer read "Service Tire Monitor System". The tire monitor system is one of the fancy gadgets that allows you to scroll and read the individual tire pressures. Not a necessity for the operation of the vehcile, but a nice feature. I have had the car into the dealership 5 seperate times (thank God for warranty) and they have replaced the sensor 3 of those times, all to no avail. Finally today I get a call from them with this explanation: "the window tint that is on the car is too dark and is not allowing the computer antenna to receive the signal from the sensor in the tire". The tint I have is dark, but is the legal limit, no darker. Immediately my "BULL****" flag went up. He said he got this information directly from GM. Has anybody else run into anything like this, or even heard of something so bizarre? why would my window tint have ANYTHING to do with my tire pressure sensors?

AEROSE

Old 08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: Anybody else have this maintenance issue?

sounds like a bunch of crap to me

its like taking a piece of tint film and putting it over a remote control car and trying to still play with it
i doubt that it will stop the reading but im not sure

Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM

thats total bull ur sensor shouldnt even be inside the car lol bu i wouldnt put it past GM they do make some crazy crap.... hey check if your mechanic is a ex-cop LMAO good luck!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM

I don't buy it. The signal is coming from a sensor near the tire I assume - in which case it is going through the steel body. The glass would have absolutely nothing to do with blocking a signal IMHO, even if you painted it. Go back to the dealer, put you windows down and if it still gives the same error then ask them what excuse they have next

I'm surprised it even operates that way rather than being hardwired, if its true that is.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 PM

The system works off of the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver). It is located at the upper left hand (drivers side) of the windshield. That is the antenna portion of it. It looks like a little button. Tint may be at cause. Do you have the upper windshield tinted? Have you noticed the remote giving any problems?

#2 in the photo is the receiver.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1227/76D659857FA54128A0FCDBE7B5C7A2E5.gif[/IMG]

This image is of the RCDLR itself located at the upper center of the IP. (#1 in the photo)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1227/8D49463D7549442D96BEB9EE3457F174.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM

correct.. and the "radio transmitter" is located in the valve stem on each wheel... so if the tint is the good metallized kind, it could possibly interfere with the signal.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM

With the given location of the reciever, IF you have your front windshield tinted with aftermarket metallic tint I CAN see it causing a signal transmission problem. It is the same type of problem you would run into if you had an IPASS or similar toll road transmitter. In the IPASS directions it specifically says if you have metallic window tint you must place the transmitter below the window tint line, because the metallic properties of the tint disrupt the signal. If the glass is factory tint then I would start raising the BS flag and start raising some hell, since you have no control over the type of tint the factory used, and they should know that there could be a problem with metallic tint. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 PM

I have an 06 SS with the same system. I have had it pop up with that same message several times too. I have NO tint other than factory tint. I also have had to recalibrate my compass several times as well. I will be taking the car to the dealer soon and will post what I find out. I suspect the DIC computer being the issue, or one of the other computerized systems. My KES lost its programming the second day of ownership and they had to pull the fuse in order to reprogam the key fobs. So, I'm betting on a computer problem rather than an RF issue related to the receiver/transmitter and aftermarket tint.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:21 PM

Well way to go...u shot my aftermarket tint explination right out of the water. But in all seriousness, I guess it is still possible that the factory tint is metalic, but it sounds like it is probably an electrical/computer issue. I would start raising a stink at the dealer especially if they try and give u the same lame excuse as they did to AEROSE. Even if the tint is the cause GM needs to find a way to fix the problem otherwise i suspect there will be many upset Monte owners beating on thier doors. Good luck with the dealer let is know what the outcome is.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 PM

Monte owners aside, what other GM vehicles have this system too?

This is why I steer clear of purchasing a first year model vehicle.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have this maintenance issue?