Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Upgrading Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 PM

oh ya wood is cheap, and if you have the saws to cut it, your possibilitys are endless.

and pretty fun to do in the process.

i recently made my first amp rack and plan on experimenting more this summer. it only took 5 dollars worth of wood and an afternoon.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

im going to stop commenting on audio setups from now on. i have a feeling that i offend people. GL

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

well i built the box i have now for my truck originally, there easy to build im prob gonna go sealed i do listin to alot of rock just every once & a while ill turn up the rap lol & my car is fully dynomatted done that when i fixed her lol so im gonna go simple though & just build a box for em nothin fancy yet lol

& after im done im gonna take it to an audio shop & have them fine tune it for me

Old 04-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Hope you don't think I'm offended. I'm just sayin there's no reason to not buy an amp simply because it's cheaper.

You can probably do the final tuning yourself too. Adjusting the EQ and stuff like that will all be based on how you want it to sound, so having the shop do it might not work out well. Setting crossovers is pretty simple too.

Last edited by Dbl_D718; 04-04-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 PM

i tune mine twice a year. i think when it starts getting cold out it sounds different.

what i do is take out all the rcas exept the ones that your tuning. turn the radio to about 3/4. it gets a little tricky depending on what kind of equilizer you have in your HU, and if you get a crossover.

most 6.5's adn 6x9s can only run 80 hrz and above, subs can play all frequencies but i play mine from 120 down to 30. anything below that hurts my ears, and makes my eyebrows itch.

i dont know how pros set gains, but i set mine inividually again and try to get the loudest/cleanest sound. imo the lower you go with the frequincies the worse your speakers will sound at higher levels.

as long as there not poping, or start to sound bad to you, there fine. pros are good at what they do, but every persons hearing is different and you should be there with them, if you go that route.

i read something once, that blowing you speakers is kinda like a kid jumping on a bed. if he hits the ceiling/"poping" once or twice he'll be fine. but after that he'll start to get permanant brain/"voice coil" damage.

it sounds dumb but makes it very clear, that you dont want your gains to high.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mak330
im going to stop commenting on audio setups from now on. i have a feeling that i offend people. GL
Lol car audio people allways get so heated with each other.

But anyways for sure you need to run some good size wire. i would just go a do a 1/0 1/2 gauge run so that in the future you never have to upgrade (after a year its never loud enough even if you cant breath). Make sure you do the big 3 in the same gauge wire or its pointless to run big wire because part of your circuit still will have small wire. And even if you do listen rock i would most defiantly build a ported box. I swear you can take a 200 system and put a sub in a nice box and it sounds like a 2000$ system. Ported boxs are not just for rap blasters, you tune a box to any music style. Rock tends to be around 40hz and if you tuned it there youd be very very impressed. My first system was 2 12 kicker cvrs in a sealed box and when i designed a box for 1 12 and stuck the 1 cvr in there it was louder and cleaner then when i had 2 12s in the sealed. If you want i can whip you up a quick blue print. Allso like they said before you wanna find a good class d mono block amplifier. See if you can find a sundown audio amp. I found my 600dollar sundown audio sae1200d for 150 on ebay. sundown amps are very good. Mine has a 90s/n ratio which is very good and puts out 1200rms(underrated) at 12volts. When they say 12volts to they mean 12volts not 14.8volt like all other amps. so at 14.8 it will be around 1500rms. And yes you do wanna find an amp that is slightly stronger then what you need so the amp doesnt have to work very hard making it last for longer than you will have your car. And one last thing.. Custom box Custom box Custom box its 60% of your professional bass system so build a Custom box.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 AM

Just an idea, and because I like Alpine. The CDA-117 is a very nice and newer deck that came out and it has a USB cable and more that comes with it. Take a look.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...7.html?tp=5684

I wouldn't get it from Crutchfield but I know you can find it cheaper other places on the internet.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 AM

If you have not bought a deck consider this one. I have it installed and i absolutly love it. double din pioneer dvd player with usb, sd card slot, and auxilary with just about every other option out there except navigation for 365 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-AVH-P320...ht_2597wt_1038

Old 04-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

well im deff gonna be building a custom box, so ported is better huh?

to start ill prob just throw it in a box they got at the shop untill this summerwhen i build one & do the inside speaker upgrade

thanks for everyones help

& ive already got the subs & the head unit i got a Clarion CZ500 & MTX subs

Old 04-06-2010, 02:31 AM

throw the subs in a reg box first so when later u do a ported you can appreciate the difference

Quick Reply: Upgrading Sound System