Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it was easy just a coulpe of clips. I used double sided tape on the tweeter to find the sweet spot on mine and a hole saw it took about 1 hour to get the placement right on the RTA and then like a 1/2 hr to mount them wire them in

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
it was easy just a coulpe of clips. I used double sided tape on the tweeter to find the sweet spot on mine and a hole saw it took about 1 hour to get the placement right on the RTA and then like a 1/2 hr to mount them wire them in
yeah, the wiring would be the hardest part i think, im gonna go get a hole saw, ill let you guys know how it goes

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

good luck man ! if you have a harbor freight close by you a set of hole saws is like 10$ and i did use some 100 grit sand paper to Sand down the hole when I was done to knock the edge down

Edit : measure twice cut once

Last edited by Blazed SS; 06-25-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
do you have pics anywhere of where yours is?
I do, check my build log on the first page of this forum, it's stickied.

Good luck with the install!

I lucked out, I guess, with my setup because my components came with multiple mounting cups and one set of them was angled so I was able to mount mine in the upper door panel and have them angled on axis to the opposite passenger and then dial in the time alignment so that the sound from each speaker reached the driver seat headrest at the same time. The result is that the person in the drivers seat is in the "sweet spot" of my cars audio system, giving that person the feeling of being at the "center of the stage" of the music even though I only have mids/highs coming from the front of the car.

The problem with mounting tweeters so far away from the midrange speaker when using passive xovers is that the xovers are made to run the speakers at specific cut off point to ensure the precise blending of the frequencies from one driver to the other. By taking the tweeters and moving them so far away from the mid, that cut off point would need to be adjusted accordingly to maintain the point source attribute of the components. But since you can't adjust the cutoff point your imaging will be affected due to the mid and high frequencies reaching you at different times and because the speakers will be slightly out of phase with each other and possibly diffraction of the high frequencies (if the tweets are aimed at the windshield).

If you're going to run your components passive, I think it would be better if you just mounted them in the stock locations and called it a day. Then later on, if you chose, you could add another set of tweets up higher to raise the soundstage. It would definitely be recommended that you work from the inside out in this scenario, not from the outside in.

SS Keith has the type of setup i'm striving for, with the quad tweeter setup. I think I might invest in a higher end set of CDT components and their UpStage system to complement them......or get a set of CDT comps that come with the UpStage system.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS

SS Keith has the type of setup i'm striving for, with the quad tweeter setup. I think I might invest in a higher end set of CDT components and their UpStage system to complement them......or get a set of CDT comps that come with the UpStage system.
wow man thank you for the complement!! for sure and right back at you and yours !! I am thinking about putting in a second set of 6 1/2 today (building pods for the kick panels)
just to get a touch more mids in the car I am getting so close to just being done. last week I put in the new Kicker IX500.4 amp for the mids and highs the focal amp just could not keep up

Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Keith "babe", lol, the pork chops to my applesauce! Come here across the country and help me, lol.:p

Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montelicious
Keith "babe", LOL, the pork chops to my applesauce! Come here across the country and help me, LOL.:p
LOL !! I wish I could my little apple dumpling !! LOL

Old 06-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Hahahahaha! Where is Mod Mike, lol! Hey, I put up my artwork on the off topic section hunny bunny!!!!!!!:p

Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

cool love bug ! I will check it out
here is where 04 Monte Ls put his tweeter it is in front of his door Handel

Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Hey my little doodle bug, what about where the map pocket is???

Quick Reply: Tweeter Placement