Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Tweeter Placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tweeter Placement

Where have you guys placed your after market tweeters and how have you drilled the holes? any help is greatly appreciated, i plan on doing this tomorrow, also with a tutorial on door panel removal

Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have 2 sets you can look at my garage and see both locations I used 1 set in the doors 1 set in the A pillars

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2001 ss keith
I have 2 sets you can look at my garage and see both locations I used 1 set in the doors 1 set in the A pillars
whatd you drill the hole with? mines an inch and a half wide so kinda hard to find a bit

and do you think the sound will differ if i put it in the door versus in the pillar

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

here's mine

keith what model is the JVC and do they all come with GPS or you have to subscribe it?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by trewyn15
and do you think the sound will differ if i put it in the door versus in the pillar

Yes, what would the sound difference be? I have to put my kicker ones in ans want the best sound place for the tweeter. I guess these huge crossovers get stuck somewhere inside the door with 2 way tape?

Lisa

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
here's mine
Keith what model is the JVC and do they all come with GPS or you have to subscribe it?
JVC Arsenal KW-NT3HDT (KW-NT3HD) is the deck I have I did not have to subscribe to it witch on are you looking at ?? all most all came with it you can always check on SonicElectronix.com to see what your options are for your deck and the have fair prices

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Where have you guys placed your after market tweeters and how have you drilled the holes? any help is greatly appreciated, i plan on doing this tomorrow, also with a tutorial on door panel removal
I put mine at the top of my door panel in front of the door handle. The hole was drilled with a holesaw.

whatd you drill the hole with? mines an inch and a half wide so kinda hard to find a bit

You gotta get a holesaw, it goes in your drill like a drill bit but it's a round hole cutting bit.

The sound won't be different but the soundstage and imaging will be. Putting them in the A pillars can be great if you spend time testing and aiming to find the spot that sounds the best. The problem most times is that people just slap them in where ever they fit with no testing at all and because they make noise they think it sounds good. I guess it all depends on how serious you are about your audio system.....if you know what soundstage and imaging are and rank those high on your list of wants/needs from your setup then I would advise you to keep your tweeter as close to your mid as possible UNLESS you have the ability to adjust the time alignment of your speakers. If you're just using the supplied xover that came with the comps then the a pillars wouldn't be advised.

Originally Posted by Montelicious
Yes, what would the sound difference be? I have to put my kicker ones in ans want the best sound place for the tweeter. I guess these huge crossovers get stuck somewhere inside the door with 2 way tape?

Lisa
You can put the xovers where ever you want. When I used passive xovers I always mounted them next to amp that was powering them.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
I put mine at the top of my door panel in front of the door handle. The hole was drilled with a holesaw.

You gotta get a holesaw, it goes in your drill like a drill bit but it's a round hole cutting bit.

The sound won't be different but the soundstage and imaging will be. Putting them in the A pillars can be great if you spend time testing and aiming to find the spot that sounds the best. The problem most times is that people just slap them in where ever they fit with no testing at all and because they make noise they think it sounds good. I guess it all depends on how serious you are about your audio system.....if you know what soundstage and imaging are and rank those high on your list of wants/needs from your setup then I would advise you to keep your tweeter as close to your mid as possible UNLESS you have the ability to adjust the time alignment of your speakers. If you're just using the supplied xover that came with the comps then the a pillars wouldn't be advised.

You can put the xovers where ever you want. When I used passive xovers I always mounted them next to amp that was powering them.
do you have pics anywhere of where yours is?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:30 AM

IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montelicious

Lisa
It s a personal thing and a staging thing for car stereo competition you as a person can hear up and down pretty easily but have a harder time telling depth (front to back ) for me the ones in the door were to low in the car seeings how I am 6"-5" tall I sit way back in the seat and I needed them higher in the car to get the imaging right for me (the crisp high like when a cymbal hits) there are a ton of locations to put them the 2 big questions you have to ask your self is am I OK putting holes in my car where there were non and what am I going for comp. or personal sound quality.
now with the crossovers I did mount them in the door because they were to big to put under the dash and I used black rubber adhesive so they would not rattle in the door like 4 quarter sized spots on each crossover

Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 AM
10 Year Member

i think ill try the pillars, how hard is it to pop one of those off?

Quick Reply: Tweeter Placement