Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

tuneing amp and subs

Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default tuneing amp and subs

ok i have 2 10" mtx 7500 (which dont sound like 10"s) but anyways i have an alpine v12 amp and a stock hu which should change soon but anyways i was wondering to what extent can i tune the amp and speakers and how would i go about doing this

Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Default RE: tuneing amp and subs

they should have dials on the amp and you cant tweek it on the head unit dude

if your subs are new.. break em in..

yeh i have one 10 w7 jl audio and will put most 12's and 15's to shame..
nothing wrong with 10's

Old 04-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: tuneing amp and subs

ORIGINAL: big green dog

ok i have 2 10" mtx 7500 (which dont sound like 10"s) but anyways i have an alpine v12 amp and a stock hu which should change soon but anyways i was wondering to what extent can i tune the amp and speakers and how would i go about doing this
there isn't any "tuning" you can do to the speakers, but the amp on the other hand has a gain control and surely some crossover controls as well. The first thing you'd want to do is set the gain properly. Alot of people use the gain and a secondary volume adjustment but that's not what it's meant for. The gain is meant to match the amplifier to the input signal of the head unit so the amplifier works as efficiently as possible. Setting this correctly will help control the heat of the amp and ensure that it isn't working harder than it has to in order to get the desired output. To set the gain, turn your head unit to about 75% of it's maximum volume, this is generally at or near the point where most head units would begin to clip or distort. Now turn the gain up until you hear a little distortion and then back it off slightly until the distortion is gone. Your gain is now properly set. Now you have your crossover to deal with. Some amps have selectable crossovers while others have variable, variable is preferred as it gives you more control over the sound instead of simply giving you 3 or so selectable frequencies from which to choose. If you have a multichannel amp, it likely has a high pass/low pass/full range filter on it as well and since you're using it to run the subs, make sure the switch is set to "low pass". Now you can set the frequency you want the subs to play up to. There is no correct way to do this as we all hear differently and prefer different sounds, so my advice would be to grab a cd you are very familiar with and play with the crossover until it sounds good to you.