Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Speaker install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Default Speaker install question

Has anyone installed Infinity Reference component speakers in the front doors? If so, where did you mount the crossover and the seperate tweeter? I'm looking to install the 6030cs speakers. www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF6030CS&cat=COS&ser=REF &Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Most Have mounted the Crossover next to the amp or on the floor near your foot area for the front doors. You should be able to mount the new tweeter in the stock tweeter location providing its the same size.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by USMCdevildog
Has anyone installed Infinity Reference component speakers in the front doors? If so, where did you mount the crossover and the seperate tweeter? I'm looking to install the 6030cs speakers. www.infinitysystems.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=REF6030CS&cat=COS&ser=REF &Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA
You can put the xover where ever you want, I think it's best to put it right next to the amp since you'll be able to access it easily should you ever need to make any changes. The tweeter is best mounted within 18" of the mid, the closer the better. You can mount it in the stock tweet location for the stealth look or you can mount it on the door panel, since you're running passive I'd suggest putting it in the stock location.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Thank you for the responses. I ended up installing the lil tweeter where the old one was at. I could not use the crossovers that came with the Infinity speakers because of the stock amp that the monte carlo has. The new radio and speakers do sound better but I think i need to go with an aftermarket amplifier. Are the aftermarket amplifiers performance worth the $$ or is the stock amp just as good? Thanks in advance for the help

Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by USMCdevildog
Thank you for the responses. I ended up installing the lil tweeter where the old one was at. I could not use the crossovers that came with the Infinity speakers because of the stock amp that the monte carlo has. The new radio and speakers do sound better but I think i need to go with an aftermarket amplifier. Are the aftermarket amplifiers performance worth the $$ or is the stock amp just as good? Thanks in advance for the help
If you have an aftermarket deck, make sure you bypass the stock amp. I didn't do that and my new speakers sounded AWFUL! I drove around for two months with $#itty sounding speakers thinking I got ripped off because I didn't know about that.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks sevnfoe for the response. Gettin kinda confused on this amp bypass situation. From what I've read on this forum sounds like I'll by bypassing the amp. How to do it is the question. Can someone help me out on this bypass? I've read some helpful threads here but still not clear on it all. I'd really appreciate the help.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:08 PM

IIRC, the 00-03 Montes have an adapter you can buy for like $20 that will bypass the amp quick and easy.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 AM

idk anything about amp bypassing, but far as placment, these cars are massive, the door panels are huge, you could mount it in the door panel in the floor, in the paneling somwhere, or by the amp. mine are next to my amps on the smaller fold down half of my back seat. only because my cross overs are rather large. but you can place them anywhere you see fit, and you should have a spot for tweeters in the stock bafels. depending on the generation you have, but the 5th and 6th i think all have spots for tweeters. even if they aren't stock with the car. not awsome speakers thogh, i'd recommend JBL's any day of the week. i love JBL, big fan boy. my sub is a w12GTI mkII and i have 608gti MKII speakers. but you don;'t need to go for there top teir. there lower teir stuff is nice too

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i mounted my cross over in the door panel, i did this because i don't plan on changing a whole lot and if i ever do need to its not that difficult to just pull the panel, but i have considered putting them in the trunk when i build my amp rack

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Thank you very much for the helpful info. I appreciate it. Gonna go ahead and throw an Alpine amp inside and install the Infinity Reference crossovers inside the doors. But first, just received my fog lamps!! Gonna try to git those installed without causing any arcing and sparking Thanks again for the help