Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Smoke coming from sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM

yeah that was my fault. i am very inexperienced with this stuff so i just cranked it and let it bump. but i talked to the company i bought the sub from and they are gonna replace it for free! so thats a good start. ill just be smarter the next time!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
I was referring to the bass boost on the amp. But on Most amps that have a remote, its the called the Remote Bass Boost, which controls the bass boost thats on the amp itself and works as described in my previous post. Bass boost is not a gain, its something that really shouldn't even be messed with that much. Bass boost will higher your chances of blowing a sub than a little strong on the gain will.

There are a few amps that the remote is controlling the gain but its very few, I cant even name the ones that are, Almost all the amps that people talk about the remote is for the bass boost.
Are they a more "modern" thing?

I had an old school rockford that had hooked up through a RJ11 connector from the amp to the remote with the **** which controlled the gain.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
Are they a more "modern" thing?

I had an old school rockford that had hooked up through a RJ11 connector from the amp to the remote with the **** which controlled the gain.
I mean im not doubting you. Im just saying that most amps it does control the bass boost not the gain..

I think the point behind it not being the gain is that the gain should not be used a volume because its not. It needs to tuned properly to ur system and stay there.. i.e. with your head unit output and how your speakers hooked up etc..

as far as modern IDK..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Not everyone has the ear to tune music right ;]

Loud distorted bass from the subs & mids mixed with screaming highs = smoking subs and damaged ear drums