Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Smoke coming from sub box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM

Ah man you got to got to GOT TO give em break in time. Without sounding like a dirtbag, perhaps you can try getting a replacement by saying it wasn't your fault? It's worked for me in the past....

I have some nice JBL C608GTI's that were bridged to 240w and I waited a full week and some to hear them play at that. I was scared I'd fry those beauties for the longest time. Sometimes I see it as a challenge to wait for them to break in, and it's probably harder to do with a sub since it REALLY adds to your system... Sorry man. That's an expensive little 12" sub...

Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Boxman420
when i used that DMM on the terminals NO wires where hooked up at the time. when they are hooked up one reads .3 and the other reads .7 which in turn makes 1ohm? well i took the amp out for now with hopes its not blown. it still turns on and it doesnt smell or anything so i think its okay. my sub is 300RMS/900peak, amp is 500rms/1000peak at 2ohms it is also a mono amp. the speaker wire for the sub is all 14 guage.
If you have the subs wired to run @ 1ohm, your amp is pushing out a lot more than 500watts RMS and I'm really not surprised @ what happened.
Although you burned your voice coils (you're still hearing noise @ low levels) if you keep running them they will fry your amp.

and 14 gauge is plenty big for what you're running

i have watched so many videos and read alot of forums on wiring a DVC 4ohm sub to 2ohms. i wired my sub (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) and then used the outer terminals (+) and (-) to run to the amp. what did i do wrong here?

>> 2 ohm diagram <<

That is a diagram into a mono amp with one input terminal... does yours have two? if it does inside the amp it does a cross-over so you just wire left sub and right sub like you would a 2 channel amp (unbridged)

Last edited by iMSeRiOuS; 06-06-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM

i had the subs hooked up for a week and a half with a 600watt MAX Boss amp. and then switched over to the M500 for a week and a half and apparently blew the **** out of that sub.

Imserious.. theres one problem with that diagram my sub is 4ohms not 2ohms. i'm assuming that makes a difference because if i where to wire it that same way id be at 8ohms.?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM

Boss amp? Well there's your problem... Mostly kidding. :p

Old 06-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Imserious.. theres one problem with that diagram my sub is 4ohms not 2ohms. i'm assuming that makes a difference because if i where to wire it that same way id be at 8ohms.?
It would you're right ;]

>>4 ohm DVC sub to give a 2ohm load <<

copy/paste isn't always so nice

Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 PM

i got something right! . anyways thats EXACTLY how i had my sub wired. i think i just killed it when i was driving around. cause i drove almost 1000 miles last week alone. and i have a tendency to show off/annoy people with my loud music!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Yeah your sub is dead =\

Usually try to match up the sub's RMS with the amp's RMS so you don't have smoking subs again ^_^

Stop showing off!

My **** bangs but I try to keep it down around town

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

When you tune the amp etc.. do it carefully. when you sit in the car it may not sound distorted but if you sat in front of the sub it actually may.. its just the perception of distance i guess. But have the bass boost all the way down, tune it with just the gain, once its perfect then adjust the bass boost to adjust the sound.

Most people will go and just crank the bass boost because they think that it makes it louder when all your doing is making the sub distort what it cant play etc..

On my amp. I have the gain about half way or so, but the bass boost is barely moved maybe like 1/32 on the rotary ***.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jaws2008

On my amp. I have the gain about half way or so, but the bass boost is barely moved maybe like 1/32 on the rotary ***.
not to hurt your feelings but if that's a remote bass "booster" that is your gain =/

think of it as a remote gain, when it's plugged in, it overrides your manual gain setting =]

Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by iMSeRiOuS
not to hurt your feelings but if that's a remote bass "booster" that is your gain =/

think of it as a remote gain, when it's plugged in, it overrides your manual gain setting =]
I was referring to the bass boost on the amp. But on Most amps that have a remote, its the called the Remote Bass Boost, which controls the bass boost thats on the amp itself and works as described in my previous post. Bass boost is not a gain, its something that really shouldn't even be messed with that much. Bass boost will higher your chances of blowing a sub than a little strong on the gain will.

There are a few amps that the remote is controlling the gain but its very few, I cant even name the ones that are, Almost all the amps that people talk about the remote is for the bass boost.

Quick Reply: Smoke coming from sub box?