Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Remote Start Install - '05 Impala

Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Remote Start Install - '05 Impala

So, my wife's B-day is coming up on Monday (Valentine's day) and this Saturday (with help from my brother-in-law), I completed the "big" gift.... We installed a remote start system (which also controls the keyless entry and trunk pop) into her '05 Impala (which was purchased as a new winter beater to replace her '94 Grand Am).

The install was "easy", once you got used to being a contortionist!! I love how part of the instuctions would say "Connect to this wire off this harness going to the BCM. The BCM is located above the e-brake pedal". Making it sound like "oh, that's easy". VERY tight on room. But in the end, with help of a soldiering gun, electrical tape and zip ties, a great installation.

I did not tie in the control to the parking lights and I now have second thoughts on that (this will be a task for warmer weather). I also did not install the hood pin (to disable remote start when the hood is open), but I have a reason for that. Every hood pin I've seen for that task fails. I am going to mount a switch inside the car somewhere to serve this purpose (so when I go to work on the car, I flip a switch to disable the remote start).

But my wife is really excited about this (to have a WARM car during the winter).

Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've wired these up in a few car and it just keeps getting harder as the cars get newer. I don't think I have the courage (or the back) to do it anymore.

The last 2 installs I did the exact same thing with the hood pin switch. The bonus is that if it is hidden, then it doubles as a security ignition disabler as well as a safety feature. Potential thieves has to find the switch to start the car, but don't know what they're looking for...