Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Looking to install aftermarket remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Default Looking to install aftermarket remote starter

Ive been looking into putting a remote starter in my monte. Im going to just replace the factory alarm with it. I was wondering if I need anything special that I need. Ive read something about a Passlock 3? Can someone verify what I need. Thanks

Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Looking to install aftermarket remote starter

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetai...?ProductID=558

Old 12-14-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member

is this all I will need?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't know. But I wouldn't even begin the install until I knew exactly what's needed and how it goes together. Why?

Because if you make one little mistake and the computer gets the idea that the ignition is being tampered with ... The Car WILL NOT START until it gets towed back to a Dealership.
I would visit a place where the unit you have is sold and installed. Buy the Lead Installer some cigarettes or coffee ... or, bring-in a plate of goodies and a bunch of Duncan Donuts coffees and schmooze with them.
Bring a notebook and make sure you leave with the straight-skinny on everything you need and don't need ... and, what to do and what NOT to do.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM

Have you ever installed a remote start, or do you have any wiring experience? Also, do you have a multimeter?

Its definitely not a walk in the park- its one of the most difficult electrical projects to do to a car.

All you need to install it on top of the remote start unit is a passkey bypass (I've never used the one above, I just used the DEI version). Generally with these bypass units, put the key in, cut into the passkey wires, and measure the resistance value. Then you put your multimeter on the leads coming out of your bypass and adjust the potentiometer on the unit until the resistance value matches approximately what you read on the car.

Other than that, its a pretty straightforward install as far as modern vehicles go.

I'd probably also buy a brand name unit (I prefer DEI brand products), and a brand name bypass- preferably from a local car stereo shop / best buy / circuit city. The reason for this is with off brand products, there tend to be a lot of 'dud' units which makes the install 100x harder when you're trying to figure out if your install is bad or if the unit is bad.

At least if you get something from a local place, you can take it back and get an immediate swap out so you aren't waiting weeks for something to come back from the internet.

would visit a place where the unit you have is sold and installed. Buy the Lead Installer some cigarettes or coffee ... or, bring-in a plate of goodies and a bunch of Duncan Donuts coffees and schmooze with them.
Bring a notebook and make sure you leave with the straight-skinny on everything you need and don't need ... and, what to do and what NOT to do.
Honestly, if you're gonna go through all that work, you may as well just have them install it for you. Labor generally isn't much more than $80-150 depending if you get a remote start only, or with keyless, alarm, or whatever other bells and whistles you get.

I could see if you were trying to get a job installing them for a living, or if you planned to do a bunch more- but if its just for your own car, and you're really shakey on doing the install- just let a pro do it.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:36 PM

I know the best advice is to let a pro handle it if the job isn't one you really feel comfortable tackling by yourself. Well said Bumpin96monte. I agree with you 100-Percent.

But, I get a kick out of doing the Mods and add-on's myself. Especially, when there is electrical work to be done. My attitude is: I'd do a better job. I solder; not crimp.
But, when a job like installing a Remote Starter comes-along ... I defer to the guys who do them for a living.

But, recognize that there are people who want to do ALL their own work ... no matter what. I can understand where they are coming from. I've been there when I was a kid. Now, I'm getting too old to wrench all the time. But, I do things and feel good about having done them when I do. The last time I did Plugs it took 3-Days. The next time I do Plugs; they'll all be done inside of 90-Minutes. I made sure of that after doing the battle with the stockers.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM

definatly going to wanna get it installed professionally. ive seen a few buddys screw it up. not cool. big messes

Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

I was gonna do it myself. Ive never had a problem with soldering or complicated prjects. Im pretty used to modding things and mainly half my stuff is some way tampered with to get the full potential out of it. Im not really freaked out by this feel comfortable but not looking for a mess. Ive never installed one before nor never done half the things i do but a little common sense and reading goes a long way. Is there a good web site where I can find a tutorial on this? Would def help out but and the same time I might have it done with a pro. Thanks for all the imput.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:58 PM

www.let_theprosdothisone.com

Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What kind of monte do you have?

If it's a 2004 - newer ask the dealer a question. See if your car already has the ability to use the long distance remotes. If so, all the stuff is in place for remote start, and it will only take 20 dollars and be really cheap. All they have to do is give you 2 new fobs with the remote start, and install something onto your computer and you are done.

Quick Reply: Looking to install aftermarket remote starter