Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Rearview mirror/Dome Light not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rearview mirror/Dome Light not working

I replaced my festoon dome light with a LED light and noticed when dome light is off, I have residual current in the light and it barely illuminates when everything is shut off. If I push and pull on the rear view mirror harness, the dome light completely turns off and the rearview mirror map lights turn on. If I continue to fool around with harness, my dome light flickers. The problem seems to be with the rear view mirror. I pulled the pins out of the RV mirror harness and bent the prongs to make better connection, but it's on the RV mirror end, not the wire harness. The dome light connections are good and nothing wrong with the LED bulb.

So if I unplug the RV mirror, the dome light has a little bit of current flowing which illuminates the LED. To eliminate this current, the RV mirror has to be connected to the harness. I plan on replacing the RV mirror with a LCD screen anyway for backup cam, but if the harness is not plugged into the RV mirror, the residual current will still flow through the dome light.

(note: the dome light operates normally when the residual current is there, but never really shuts off completely. I open the door and dome light is bright. I shut door and theater dimming shuts dome off, but is barely illuminated from residual current.)

Does anyone know how to jump the wire harness for the RV mirror so the dome light will not get that residual current?