General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rearview Mirror problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Default Rearview Mirror problems

I have yet ANOTHER problem. [:@] It must have just happend today because I've never noticed it before. . .

Ok, here goes. . .As I'm sure many of you fellow monte owners have, I have the DIC in car display on my monte. . .which also comes with the auto dimming mirror right? Well today I just noticed that I have a big air bubble in the mirror. I can't tell whats caused it. And I'm guessing that there's a liquid in the mirror to change the brightness of the mirror when light hits it?

Anyways, I have a big air pocket in it, and I have NO CLUE what could have caused it. My first guess was this incredible heat that we're having here. Or maybe its my 5% window tint? I have no idea. But once again, how could you get an air pocket in your mirror?

Has anyone else had this problem? I have no idea how to get rid of it, and I've looked around and replacement mirrors are REALLY expensive. Kinda sucks not being able to see out of my rearview mirror.

Some kind of help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! My car is driving me up the wall lately. Thanks in advance guys.

MonteriderLS

Old 08-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Default RE: Rearview Mirror problems

I was hoping someone might have had this problem or a possible solution. . . .lol everyone must be as clueless as I am.[&:] I guess I'll just head up to the dealership tomorrow.

MonteriderLS out

Old 06-13-2007, 04:20 PM

My rearview hasthe same problem. It's been in the 90s here for a few weeks. The "air bubble" is the liquid crystal stuff which make the mirror dim.I noticed itthree days ago. Today after work i found the s*it dripping out of the mirror onto the console. Nowin additionchipped paint, i have bubbleson the console too. TheLcd stuff isnasty, it eats through plastic. I took the mirror apart hoping tocleanit out. No luck, thetwo layers of glass would not separate. Beside the goo does not come off with goo gone or detergent, maybe alchol would work. I am bidding on another mirror on ebay, an impala model which has map lights but nostupid leaky autodim crap!Thanks alot GM for using crappy parts in my car, A**holes!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:44 PM

I figured out how to fix the leakingoriginal autodimrearview in my car. Here's how: (note - the autodim feature will not work anymore, but since the lcd is leaking, you have no choice)

1. Remove the rearview from the car. i just pulled up on the base where it attaches to the windshield, you may need a screw driver or other flat tool like a butter knife to pry up on it. There is an electrical connector on the back of the mirror, unhook it.

2. Use a screw driver or butter knife to pry the plastic seam apart. It's glued together, but came apart pretty easy once i got it started.

3. Pull the glass out by pulling slightly at the edge of the frame. There are tabs at either side holding the glass in.

4. Looking at the reflective side of the glass, you'll notice a blue bead around the center of the glass. mine had a small spot where the blue had seperated. use a razor blade to seperate the two layers of glass starting at the spot where the blue is interupted. that must be where the liquid leaked out. be carefull not to chip the glass. work slowly, it took a little time to get the razor in between the layers. once you get the razor started the two layers will come apart easily.

5. Discard the outer layer, the clear one. you have to cut the wire attached to the top. first wipe up excess lcd ooze with a dry paper towel, then use glass cleaner to remove streaks.

6. try to scrape out as much ooze from the black plastic housing using a butter knife. not all ooze will come out, some plastic will come off, no big deal. no type of solvent would remove it, alcohol, glass cleaner goo gone, nothing.

7. put theglass back into the frame, put a couple dabs of super glue at the edges to prevent rattles. use two layers of double sided foam tape to make up the difference in thickness. there are two places where the back frame contacts the back of the glass, which looks like an "x" depression in the foam backing. put the tape on those spots.

8. Run a bead of super glue around the perimeter of the frame, use gel type to prevent runs. make sure the light bulbs are in their sockets. place the light deflectors over the bulbs. put the two pieces together, and use tape or zip ties to clamp them together until dry.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 PM

plan B: getta new one

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

they're not that expensive so if it were me i would just get a new one

Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Yup can find 'em on Ebay all the time for cheap!!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Most were more than $50 on ebayand ido not want anymore lcd goop dripping on my console. The stuff eats through the paint and plastic leaving craters. You cant beat free or the piece of mind of knowing it wont leak again.