Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Questions about running power cable through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Default Questions about running power cable through firewall

I purchased a new amp the other day and I am now in the process of wiring the power cable throughout my 06 monte. I am having a hard time finding a hole in the firewall in order to get the 10 gauge cable into the engine compartment so I can hook it up to my battery (which is on the right side of the engine, opposite the steering wheel). If anyone has ran a powercable through the firewall in an 06 or up monte or if anyone has any suggestions on were to run the cable I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Questions about running power cable through firewall

Believe me, you are not the first to ask this question and I gave up looking for somewhere to run the power cable for my underglow when I put that in.

Luckily I managed to get through over Christmas break when I was home installing my subs. On the passenger side there is a harness/plug type deal that is used to block off the hole that some of the stock wires come through. After a bit of experimentation I found out that there is a thin rubber hose deal that runs up along the bundle inside the loom on the firewall side. I took a piece of an old wind chime of my mother's that my power wire would just barely fit inside of. I forced the pipe from the chime through and tore a small hole in the rubber deal. After that I was able to thread the cable through and up along the stock wires directly to the battery. I was really scared of ripping some other wire apart that shared the hole but I managed to do the whole process without much hassle/damage.

I'll see if I can't get some pictures sometime this week to show what/where I'm talking about.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:43 PM

hmm, ok thanks man i appreciate it

Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 PM

I "Moved" the Boot that the Hood Release Cable passes through and ran my wire through there. It involved placing a long screwdriver down to the side of the Boot and sliding it over to be able to get through the edge.

Might now be the best course of action for High Amps. My wires were Ground Wires for my Fog Lights. If the wires are frayed and come into contact with the frame ... My Fog Lights will come on.

If you are running JUICE through there ... I'd drill through the Rubber and force the wire through to have the electrified wire have NO chance of grounding-out!

Aside from doing that ... drill a 3/8th's hole and stick a Grommet in the firewall.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM

My 07, I ran my 8awg through the main harness on the passengers side. Pull the carpet back and you will see what I mean. Here are some pics I have of mine.

Move the rad fluid containter

Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM

ok thanks yall I was able to drill a hole right next to the hole where the large harness of wires go through. I had to superglue the grommet inplace because I drilled a terrible hole (driling through steel is kind of difficult) and I am going to wrap the power cable heavily in electical tape where it goes through into the engine compartment then put it into a wire hose that I bought. Thanks for the tips people, very helpful!