Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Headlight Photo Sensor Disable

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Default Headlight Photo Sensor Disable

I am working to disable the Auto On Headlights, by disabling the photo sensor. I found this from a Corvette site and we thinking it's the same principal, any volenteers on this? Read the article below and give your feedback.

The credit for this tip really belongs to FrankD. I was getting annoyed with my headlights constantly flipping on and off on my c4 every time i drove through the shade. My car was originally a Canadian car, and had no way to shut this feature off. To disable the lights, carefully pull the light sensor located directly above the speedometer out of the dash to expose the 2 wires running in to it. Place a 100 ohm resistor in parallel with the sensor. Tape it up and stick the sensor back in the dash. You will now have complete control of when your headlights turn on and off.

-Ant

Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Default RE: Headlight Photo Sensor Disable

so you're gonna be the guinea pig?

Old 02-09-2007, 01:47 AM

Yeah I think I"m gonna do this, I have to do a bit more research but the way this sounded to me it, that a single resistor (one end connected to each wire), would fool the computer into thinking that it was daytime ALL the time, which would in turn keep these off. I'll post more onces it's done, but theoretically it should work.

-Ant

Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 AM

Actually, I love this feature.

I have a serious pet peeve about people who "forget" to turn on their lights at night and are too stupid and blind to notice that they are not on. Many children around here have been struck by cars that run stoplights/stop signs and have their lights off. It really pisses me off!!![:@] Whooo. I'm ok now.

Anyways, it's a real convenience to have it, and other drivers don't even notice they come one except that the parking lights come on, because of the DTRL's.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 AM

Yeah, I see alot of ignorant a$$holes that run around with their lights off. However, I'm doing mine for a purpose, I installed HID's on my car, and the DRLs and Auto Headlights, put me at risk of burning up the ballast to my lights. I have a remote starter on the car, so what happens is when I hit the button to start the car, the headlights come on first, then as the ignition cycles it kills the power to the lights to start the car and then the lights have to start again. Your not supposed to start your HID's with the car off, as the ignition cycle draws so much power so quickly it doesn't give the ballast a full chance to warm up, and not enough time to reset once the ignition cycle is going on, this will burn up a ballast.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:41 AM

Ooooh-k. I see why that would be a good idea, then!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:46 AM

Yeah just trying to make sure I'm not blowing my cash, because I failed to look at the details. Though I completely understand what your saying, some people drive like they're the only ones on the road.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Actually, I love this feature.
Same here............when I drive my girlfriends car she always has to yell at me to turn the headlights on. I'm just so used to not having to worry about it that I forget I don't have that luxury in her car.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

its kind of a nice feature...but i guess if your goin for the whole looks thing it looks cooler just to have the sidemarkers and the fog's on ...but you can't do that during the day without the headlights coming on...but @ night time you just gotta pull out the headlight switch one notch and turn fog lights on..then i get my desired effect

i dont do this out of town..just in town...looks mean that way...i will try to get a picture of it once we get some better weather

Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 AM

I know what you mean, I just need to have control of my lights so that I don't fry the ballast on my HID's. Eitherway it's nice to be able to give people options on how their cars work.

Quick Reply: Headlight Photo Sensor Disable