Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Question about Amps

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 PM

Thats how I hooked my system up, with a LOC in my trunk.

04MonteLS, I only said JL because everybody who I talk too mention that brand alot. Me personally, I can care less for it but I know when I read a lil bit more about amps and their power ratings. I am always learning something new about another amp that I haven't heard of. Like: AudioQue.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by 03Monte
thanks for your reply
I totally missed the 2ohm rating on those speakers, my bad. And yes, your're right, definitely get an amp that runs them at or near the rms rating when driven at 2ohms.

I don't understand though why you would tie your hands like that by getting 2 ohm speakers. I understand that the factory amp is geared to run 2ohm speakers since that what our cars came with but buying 2ohm speakers puts you up against the wall when you decided to go aftermarket head unit/amplifier. I say this because the more you lower the impedance on an amp, the higher the THD will be. Since most 4ch amps are rated at 4ohms, that's the ideal impedance for them and when run that way will result in the best SQ and your amp will stay cooler and be more efficient as well. But whatever, it's not really going to be that big of a deal.

For the price to performance to cost ratio, the Alpine PDX-4.100 is a hard one to beat. And it's frickin' sexy as hell too!

Originally Posted by rgant_19
04MonteLS, I only said JL because everybody who I talk too mention that brand alot. Me personally, I can care less for it but I know when I read a lil bit more about amps and their power ratings. I am always learning something new about another amp that I haven't heard of. Like: AudioQue.
No worries, just letting everyone know how overrated JL is. They have their pro's and con's like every other product and for me the price is one con I just can't overcome.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

If you are into showin off the car i think thats it when JL shines, honestly how many people have you herd go WOW when they see some high end JL stuff in a car. i am a JL fan and own their top notch w7 myself. if you buy JL products at dealer cost their prices are more reasonable. you can get the 1000/1 for like $600 instead of a $1000. JL is mostly SQ audio, but the saying goes you get what you pay for. a cheaper brand might sound the same and have some output but it might last 2 years but the JL might last 7 yrs.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Although i have owned many JL products amps and subs i have never owned them any more than like a year and a half before i sold it and got something new. but its still the fact in the matter

Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
If you are into showin off the car i think thats it when JL shines, honestly how many people have you herd go WOW when they see some high end JL stuff in a car. i am a JL fan and own their top notch w7 myself. if you buy JL products at dealer cost their prices are more reasonable. you can get the 1000/1 for like $600 instead of a $1000. JL is mostly SQ audio, but the saying goes you get what you pay for. a cheaper brand might sound the same and have some output but it might last 2 years but the JL might last 7 yrs.
Meh, JL Audio doesn't excite me like that. My boy had a Suburban with 2 13W7's in a huge ported box w/2 1000/1's pushing them and OMG that thing was loud and clean. So it's not like I think JL is garbage cause it's obvious it's not, but $1100 for a 1000 watt amp? Hell nah! For that price I could get two Sundown SAZ-1500D, have triple the power, and equally sexy setup and quality as good if not better. But that's just me.

LOL. Of course bro, anything had at dealer cost is going to be more reasonable than MSRP. But can you show me a licensed, authorized dealer letting those go for $600?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 AM

i have my sound system already hooked up in my car. now im trying to add my mids nd highs amp on. can anyone tell me how i go about doing this?