Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

installing 2 amps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Default installing 2 amps.

When installing dual amps(one for subs, one for speakers)in the car do you just split the REM wire so that it runs to each amp? I'm confused on how to wire these up. im goign to use my stock radio if i can to try and keep the car the way it is, but if i have to get another headunit i will. Any help would be great

Thanks mike

Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Default RE: installing 2 amps.

Yes, just split the remote wire. You could do the same for the power and ground wire if they are big enough to power both.

The problem you are going to have with the stock head unit, is since you dont have RCA outputs, you'll have to use a LOC (Line Out Converter). The easiest way would be to use one LOC, running the rca's from that LOCto the one amp, then go from that amp to your second amp though the amplifier's output RCA jacks.

But the problem with thismethod is that you will not have seperate fading capabilities from your speakers to your subs. So the only way to do this right, and have the correct amount of adjustibility, would be to either buy a new headunit with at least 2 sets of preamp outputs, or get 2 LOC's and splice one into the rear speakers for the sub amp, and splice the other LOC into the front speaker channels (this is if you are planning on amp'ing the front door speakers, of course)

I hope this helps...

[/align]

Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 AM

your other option is to buy a EQ or equalizer its a small box that you can bolt to just about anything and then the rcas will go into that and to the each amps this allow more customizing options then just the amps... the other option is do it as you said and run the amps in series but you would want to purchase " bass blockers" and wire then into the front speakers or tweeters

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM

i plan on running the amp to both front and rear speakers. So with 2 line convertors i can just splice one 6x9 for one and amp the other for the other amp? I know i'm not going to be able to control the bass with the stock headunit, i'm probably just going to get a new headunit, i spent all this money already i mine as well do it right.

Do either of you know where i can find a wire diagram of a 2006 monte carlo lt, without the upgraded sound system.. Possibly even some diagrams on taking the car apart, all i want to avoid is forgetting the 1 screw that bends ur **** in half when u pull haha

Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Default problems with maybe LINE CONVERTORS OR SOMTHING

can someone let me know why my amp seems to get stuck on one note and also my punch **** seems to only turn half way up before it seems to max out!!DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH LINE CONVERTORS???maybe i should just get a new headunit is there a way to WIRE the wheelcontrols so i have then for new headunit cause i like that feature ALOT...

Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM

How were you going to REM turn on your amps with the stock headunit?!