Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Question about Amps

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Question about Amps

I recently purchased the two following speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1089623...ures_and_specs

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108629I...=95&tab=review

I have everything hooked up to the factory amp, but i know i can make these sound better...

my question to my fellow audiophiles out there is, what amp should i buy?

I do not plan on putting any subs, im more interested in sound clarity/quality, and the bass response from the 6x9's is plenty for me.

also, i still have the factory tweeters in there, if that helps anyone determine what amp would be the best suited for this application.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions

Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 AM

I was having that same problem of not knowing what amp to match with the speakers. I know JL is the top of the line (from what I have been hearing) but you may want to get a 4 channel amp to my understanding. I could be wrong but I would think that you have to channel the speaker wires to that amp alone. You may interrupt your RDS mode in your monte if you get rid of your stock amp. BE CAREFUL!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 03Monte
I recently purchased the two following speakers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1089623...ures_and_specs
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108629I...=95&tab=review

my question to my fellow audiophiles out there is, what amp should i buy?
That's a tough one. The one thing I do know is that your 6x9's need 100 watts rms, and the other speakers need 75 watts rms. So if you want one amp to run both sets of speakers I think you could get away with getting a 4ch amp that puts out 4 x 100 @ 4ohms. The extra 25 watts rms for the fronts won't hurt them at all.

What's your budget for this amp?

There's so many different brands out there, it's pretty much personal preference and how much you want to spend. If your budget is $200, my answer is going to be different than if your budget is $1000.

Originally Posted by rgant_19
I was having that same problem of not knowing what amp to match with the speakers. I know JL is the top of the line (from what I have been hearing) but you may want to get a 4 channel amp to my understanding. I could be wrong but I would think that you have to channel the speaker wires to that amp alone. You may interrupt your RDS mode in your monte if you get rid of your stock amp. BE CAREFUL!
JL Audio is good stuff, but way overpriced IMO.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 AM

Yea, JL is too high. JL is more for COMPETITION audio then comfort for your car. Me, myself! I got a Highphonics Class D 2000 Watt Mono amp to run my subs. Now, for my factory speakers, my stock amp is controling them but also, I wouldn't mind an aftermarket amp to run my speakers as well.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Try an alpine amp. they are very a reasonable cost sets amps. and good ones too. thats what I run my speakers off of. make sure you get the proper wire harness and the stock amp wont be a problem.

Something like the alpine MRP-f300 should be good. it puts out more then it state on the box.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member

I have no budget for an amp, im just trying to see what different models are recommended, and then make and educated/informed decision based off the power rating vs cost.

im not new to car audio, i have just been out of the loop for quite a few years, and have no idea what's good in today's market.

so far, i see the following models recommended.
alpine MRP-f300

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member

also, i plan on keeping my factory stereo, will i be able to hook a different amp up to this?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rgant_19
Yea, JL is too high. JL is more for COMPETITION audio then comfort for your car. Me, myself! I got a Highphonics Class D 2000 Watt Mono amp to run my subs. Now, for my factory speakers, my stock amp is controling them but also, I wouldn't mind an aftermarket amp to run my speakers as well.
I wouldn't even say that. JL isn't a huge presence at competitions. I'd go with a DC Audio, Sundown, AudioQue or even a Rockford Fosgate T series amp over a JL Audio amp any day of the week. JL Audio is good stuff, don't get me wrong, but they just price themselves out of the game. So many other products out there are more affordable and of equal quality and performance.

Just to give you an idea:

I bought an AudioQue AQ1200D amp to run my subs. This amp is very underrated and it's specs are:

510X1 @ 4 ohm,
870X1 @ 2 ohm,
1200X1 @1 ohm

At 2ohms, this amp will put out close to 950 watts rms and nearly 1500 watts rms at 1ohm, at 14.4v

A JL Audio amp of comparable power, the 1000/1, will put out 1000 watts no matter if the voltage is 11v or 14.4v, but that's just it, it won't do anything over that. This series amp is great for the guy who's car has a weak electrical system and he doesn't want to fix it but wants alot of power from his amp. But for the guy who has a solid electrical system, he won't get anymore power out of this thing regardless.

And cost, the AudioQue is a rock solid amp that only costs $250 shipped direct from the manufacturer complete with a 2yr warranty!!! The 1000/1 will cost you $1100 from an authorized online dealer. Need I say more?

Oh yeah, it's not highfonics, it's Hifonics. I have one of their amps too, the BXi6406 to run my mids/highs. I'm going to upgrade to an AudioQue AQ4X90 when I get the chance though.

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Try an alpine amp. Something like the alpine MRP-f300 should be good. it puts out more then it state on the box.
Yes, Alpine amps are nice too, especially the V-Power and PDX lines.

I have no budget for an amp, im just trying to see what different models are recommended, and then make and educated/informed decision based off the power rating vs cost.
I seriously hope you consider more than cost vs. power. I'd highly suggest you get an AudioQue AQ4X90, it'll put out 90 watts rms into 4 channels at 4 ohms and will only set you back $229 shipped!

also, i plan on keeping my factory stereo, will i be able to hook a different amp up to this?
Yep!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS

I seriously hope you consider more than cost vs. power. I'd highly suggest you get an AudioQue AQ4X90, it'll put out 90 watts rms into 4 channels at 4 ohms and will only set you back $229 shipped!

These speakers are 2ohm, wouldn't i want an amp that will run them with the correct resistance? i know i should be able to drop the ohm load on the amp, but then wouldn't i push to much power to the speakers?

thanks for your reply

Last edited by 03Monte; 07-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM

To hook a amp up to a factory stereo, you could also hook it up to the amp in the rear, use these.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001

Quick Reply: Question about Amps