Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Opinions needed on new subs & amps

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions needed on new subs & amps

My stereo installer has a line on some used equipment fromhis rep friend. It's all JL Audio stuff, and I'm told high end, for good prices. The pieces are: (4) 8W7 subwoofers @ $100 each, and (2) 500/1 monoblock amps @ $200 each. I can get them cheaper on Ebay. Going to offer $150 each. It would be (2) amps driving (4) 8" subs.Custom boxes with neon to show it all off, (2) speakers on each side. Not sure about the amp mountings. I would buy everything for $700. Installed, with boxes, for $1,100 max.The amps match my existing JL Audio e6450 6 ch.
Is this a good deal?
EDIT:
The 8W7 subs have a Fs of 35.2 Hz, with piston area of 38 sq. in. The 12W7 subs are 27.2 Hz. with piston area of 84sq. in. More power from (2) 8", more bass from (1) 12". ????

Old 02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Opinions needed on new subs & amps

To tell the truth man, I have no idea on audio pricing, but that sounds like it will be one sick setup if you go with it.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM

it sounds good to me except for the 8" subs.... i personally would do 12s or 15s for that kind of price

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm leanin away from the 8's, but might bite on the amps.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM

sounds pretty good to me, i have always though been a fan of Kicker. once i am done with my system in spring, everything will be kicker in it.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM

I've never been a fan of 8" subs myself. Had them in a Fiero once. Minimum I go with now is 10".

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 PM

w7's all sound great regardless of size. its a matter of how tight or loose you enjoy your bass. 12's for me are just right. not too loose or tight.anything smaller than a 12 just doesn't hit hard enough for me unless of course you gotsixteen 8's in there..lol. jl makes some great stuff. a bit pricey on the retail side butaffordable through ebay.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM

well the system i had was great and it was 12's.
I personally like the deep sound of the base in them. 10's are to tinny sounding to me and i would think 8's would be even worse.
But the JL audio stuff is a higer end set up. the amps would be a good deal in a diffrenrent sub set up.

but if you get sub amps stay with the mono block amps. they use half the amp power to make the subs hit hard.

Also if you fire them in to the seats it will allow it to sound tight and give you clerity instead of making the sound go out side the trunk and give everyone else a head ach at a stop light.

Also fireing them in to the car keeps sound in the car and you hear the bass and feel it but it is more clear .

good luck

Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM

They are sold. I felt that 8's werent big enough, and the amps were overpriced for used stuff. I will wait and get (2) 12" subs , hopefully 12W7's, and a 1000/1 amp.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:48 AM

i dotn blame ya on the not gettign the 8's

to me they would have worked great in a V.W. bug or something smaller with littel space to be had. but not in the monte's

how i started out was with the factory head unit and i bought a high low converter for the rca out puts. then i got a decent amp and soent money on the speakers i actually bought my first amp with the intentions of changing the factory one out for that one after i bought another one for the car to handel the subs it was going to be a mono channel. the first was a 4 channel.
then i bought some subs and actully fellin the the deal on the box a frend didnt want it anymore he was going to change his entire system to something diffrent and sold the subs but then wanted a band pass box. so i was in the right place at the right time i guess.
but up untill three weeks ago i still had that same box. but i had changed the subs out for better quality etc....

if i had to start completly all over with it i would start with a good head unit and a speakers for the front of the car and the rear deck 6x9's they have some on the market now that sound or can sound just as good as subs if done right.
also i put a set of true componets int eh front and doors. so i had better seperation threw out the car.

good luck. and just keep looking you will find something that you like .

Also go to a stereo shop and see if they have any of last years models around they will sell them cheaper most of the time and the diffrences are normally small enough you wont mind not haveing the latest and greatest stuff out there.

right now i have a rockford falsgate mono amp and it is pushing two Pioneer 12's and it has enough to make your miorrs jump and you to feel it pretty good.
might not win any sound comps but it is enough to enjoy driving around with it.
wife hates it if im in the gradge it will rattel the photos on the walls in teh house pretty good. LOL

Quick Reply: Opinions needed on new subs & amps