Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

HOD lights, issues... On/off. ???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default HID lights, issues... On/off. ???????

Have an issue with my HID lights....... I bought them last year but didn't install UNTILL yesterday... Hooked them up per instructed, mounted the ballast and turned on th lights !...... Aaaahhhhh, the right one didn't work correctly, it was flashing a bit but wouldn't stay on. So, took it back part, checked the wires, all was exactly as it was supposed to be, so, I turned the lights back on but this time it worked, however, the OTHER side didn't work....... Messed with them for about an hour and had I termite ant issues with them.. So I ordered new bulbs.... (These have 35watt ballast, made sure the lights were 35 watt as well) then, out of the blue when I was moving my car, BOTH lights worked. I checked them for bare wires, shorts, bad connections, etc... All is good... Then, after I turn my brutes on, then switched back to the HID low beams, they didn't work again, hit the high beam low beam... They WORK... what the hell is going on ? Bulbs ? Ballast ? Please anyone with HID knowledge jump in and give me a shout... Thanks for all the help I have recieved in the past as well.. All of you are the greatest.... Glad to be a member of a Monte forum.... Michael....

Last edited by MJClemm; 06-05-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo !!!
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM

are they ebay hid kits?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by rgjr702
are they ebay hid kits?
Hey, thanks for the reply.. No, I bought them off another member... Ill get the name off them and reply.... One seems to be working correctly right now, but the other one is still being intermittent ... Got me frustrated big time... Thanks again...mjclemm..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM

@MJClemm. Did you check the fuse under the hood? One thing I learned about them HID kits is you want a set that has relays so you can power them from the battery and not just the light socket. When i had my HID kit sometimes I had to start my car then turn the lights off then on again and most of the time that would get them to come on. If you want a good hid kit try 9006: Morimoto Elite HID System - HID Systems from The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Yeah check the fuse, there is 2 one 15a and one 10a for the head lights. And if it is blown one of your ballasts went bad. And if not. Try the ballast on the other side, with the same bulb, then if nothing try with the other ballast bulb. And so on. Try them in different orders one one one side one on the other opposite bulbs I know I didn't confuse you lol

Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah check the fuse, there is 2 one 15a and one 10a for the head lights. And if it is blown one of your ballasts went bad. And if not. Try the ballast on the other side, with the same bulb, then if nothing try with the other ballast bulb. And so on. Try them in different orders one one one side one on the other opposite bulbs I know I didn't confuse you lol
Hello, thanks for the reply.... Just wondering, if the fuse is blown, wouldn't both lights be out ? One works and the other doesn't, then for no reason, the other will come on from time to time. And yes, it's confusing, I THOUGHT that the HID with the ballast was just "plug n play"...lol... Guess not... At least in my case...

I just ordered new bulbs because of color alone, and guess ill be getting ballast as well....lol.. Just my luck.. Ill have HID bulbs that will last me for the rest of my life.... Thanks again, I'll check the fuses and go from there....mjclemm

Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM

ome time my balast got wet, shorted and blew on of the two fuses but the other still workd, put a new one and it blew again, got a new ballast and fixed the problem thats why I say check fuses lol best of luck with the new bulbs

Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 AM

ome time my balast got wet, shorted and blew on of the two fuses but the other still workd, put a new one and it blew again, got a new ballast and fixed the problem thats why I say check fuses lol best of luck with the new bulbs
Thanks for the tip... Checked all my fuses.. All good.. I got a different ballast from my sons old set of HIDs installed it... Works like a charm now, just my luck ....just ordered new bulbs a day ago.... Lol...