Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Help! My Miles and Dome light have stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Unhappy Help! My Miles and Dome light have stopped working.

Everything else on the dashboard lights up- ONLY the miles do not show up unless you smack the dashboard (which never works when I try) and my dome light has never worked since I bought it.

The fuses are 100% fine. They told me to go and check for loose connections but I don't know how. I couldn't find any guide on Google. How and where do I look to jiggle and reconnect any loose connections? Please tell me step by step because I don't know where to start and I don't have any money to take it to a mechanic. I need to get the light to turn on so I can have it appraised and get RID of it!! It is a 2002 MC SS.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might be the stepper motor that's up with the dash or possibly your bcm going bad mines does that too but my dome light still works. Might wanna replace the bulb for that one

Old 12-31-2013, 12:04 PM

Me too dome light is out on 2003 monte, ill get back to u if I find anything

Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

More than likely a defective light switch.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by owens91
Might be the stepper motor that's up with the dash or possibly your bcm going bad mines does that too but my dome light still works. Might wanna replace the bulb for that one

The stepper motors regulate the gauges - they have absolutely nothing to do with lighting. If he was having other problems (other than a lighting problem) then I would entertain the idea of a bad BCM, but if it was it would effect more then just lighting. Worn/Oxidized contacts within the light switch is a more likely candidate.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with Mike (03SSLE). Although the lights are in the stepper motors, the lights being out does not indicate a bad stepper.
Combined with the dome light not working and the dash lights not working points to something they have in common. Your fuses are good So it most be the Headlight switch. Both your dome lights and your dash lights work off that multi function switch. That part of the switch that operates the dome and dash can go bad, and your head lights still function normal. Plus those switches are known to go bad.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:52 AM

Shouldnt the dome light come on when either door is open , I dont see how the switch would affect this

Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jgluch
Shouldnt the dome light come on when either door is open , I dont see how the switch would affect this

The light switch powers the interior lighting circuit and contains a rheostat that controls the current flowing through - aka dimmer. If the contacts in the switch (or the rheostat itself) are worn power may not be getting to the dome light.

A defective light switch is a common problem conducive to your symptoms. If (after testing/diagnosing the lighting circuit) it was discovered that the light switch was good then I would look at it as two unrelated problems. You may have an open somewhere in the interior lighting circuit (dome light problem) and a cold solder joint on the dash circuit board (odometer problem).

Unless you have the circuits tested it's a 'by guess by golly' adventure until you happen to stumble across the problem(s). Without physically seeing your car I cannot say 100% it is the light switch, but as I said previously your symptoms could be caused by a defective switch. If you don't have the means to diagnose the problem and don't want to spend a lot of money go to the wrecking yard and buy a switch. At least that way if it doesn't resolve the problem you're only out about $5.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks