Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Auto Start Stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Auto Start Stopped working

Seems that every-time I change my air filter, my car messes up. This is the second time since I've had my 06 SS. When I change the air filter the car is cool for a couple of days then it messes up. When I take the key out of the ignition, the car acts like the key is still in there. When I get out of the car, it beeps at me to let me know the key is still in the ignition, but the key is really in my hand. When I go to my car in the morning and open the door, the thing beeps at me again like I left the lights on or the key is still in the ignition?

When this happens, I cannot use my auto start & I really need that this time of year! Has anyone else had this problem? 1st time this happened last year, the car was under warranty and the dealer fixed it free.I don't even remember what they said the problem was but they said nothing about the air filter or air box. I think they said they had to reprogram something.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: Auto Start Stopped working

was the problem the bcm?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM

BCM sounds like what they told me. What does BCM stand for and is it connected to the air box?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

bcm stands for body control module and changing ur air filter really has nuttin to to with it...thats really wierd. did u remove anything when u put ur new air filter in?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can't remember what this one plug is, but on my 03 SS there is a plug in teh intake hose, it's kind of easy for me to bump it loose when taking the filter out. i don't know if it would cause big problems or not, but i do know that the air conditioner does not work when this plug is disconnected.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM

I didn't take anything else apart.The 1st time the air filter was changed it was done by the guy at valvaline instant oil change. The 2nd time, I did it myself.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Ok, I called the dealer and he said last time the car had that problemit was the BCM.It's got to be the same thing this time because it's the exact same problem. He also said it was something they fixed back about 14 months ago. They will probably make me pay this time. Any idea how much this will cost me?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM

hey how many miles are on urs? should i be looking forward to this you think? my remote start just sucks. it dosent work from more than 15 ft away. its really annoying. is urs like that or is it more around what gm says it is at about 200 ft er something like that?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM

My auto start was only working about 15 to 20 feet. But they said it was an issue with most 2006 Chevy's they replaced my keypad for free and now it does work for about 200 feet. A guy who works with me had the same problem with the range on his remote and they swapped his out for free too.

My BCM problem 1st happened 14 months ago when I had about 20-something thousand miles on the car. They fixed it under warranty. Now I have 42000miles and I'm scared they are going to try to charge me. I should have to pay for a replacement part that was replaced just last year.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM

hmm well just b polite and if they say u will have to pay go to the service manager and talk to him...altho i hate doin free work for ppl ur car shouldnt be having the same problem so many times...

Quick Reply: Auto Start Stopped working