Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

id like to have my door open w/ interior dome light OFF, ..... that possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Default id like to have my door open w/ interior dome light OFF, ..... that possible?

whats up mcf! long time no holler. i hope everyones been alright.

i sell several products from out of my 2003 monte carlo ss day and night but it bugs me how during the night time while my door is open, my clients can see inside my vehicle (thanks to the super bright dome light). i have low percentage tint but at night time that dome light cancels that tint out quick!

is it possible to have the door open with the interior dome light off. maybe a switch or something that can be turned on / off. of course i dont wanna disconnect the batterybecause sometimesi may leave my door open with the radio playing (so battery needs to be on of course). if theres any quick fixes or recommendation to achieve this task i certainly do appreciate it. thanks for your time guys!

p.s. , i know about the emergency brake / headlight trick but this wont do anygood as it is the inside that needs to remain dark

Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Default RE: id like to have my door open w/ interior dome light OFF, ..... that possible?

take the bulb out of the dome light...that will solve ur prob, but wont mess something up in case u sell the car and the other person wants the dome light to work.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Default RE: id like to have my door open w/ interior dome light OFF, ..... that possible?

Hi `Jay,
Member bensminger `Brian posted the easy way to solve your problem, but I also think you could wire in a three way switch.
1. `off
2. On when door is opened.
3. On only when you turn it on.
I would check your local auto parts store, or junk yard
for a switch.
Look forward to your future posts.
Good Luck

Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member

thanks guys ....... both great ideas that i never actually thought of! i certainly do appreciate the input and will post back with what i did later on today

Old 08-26-2008, 12:55 PM

what is the fuse wired up to also? if the fuse only does those lights, pull the fuse!

Old 03-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by vita
what is the fuse wired up to also? if the fuse only does those lights, pull the fuse!
That's what I was thinking! Or is there a way to program the computer to change the time on (book says 10 minutes)? I just got my Monte 3 days ago, and the dome light stays on while I'm driving. Very annoying!

Old 03-01-2019, 02:05 PM

I did just that and will save the light bulb if I ever want to drive around at night with my dome light on!! That is a weird feature for sure. It was easy to take a small screwdriver and pop the cover. Wear fairly thick gloves because the light gets hot very quickly. I used the screwdriver to pop the light out, too. If I really need to see in the car, will just use a flashlight