Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Got a new head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Default Got a new head unit

This thursday I pickup a Alpine cde-9873 . Put the factory radio to shame. I havetwo 12inch subs and a 600 watt hifonics amp(before the change). Of course they told me to geta aftermarket head unit to seegreat improvments in sound. But I hadno idea that it would be thatmuch improvment. Alsogetting rid of the factory radio got rid of my door chime, put that's fine it was annoying anyways.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Got a new head unit

lol belive me i dont miss my chime either.

But i will let ya know you have about the same as mine other then i have a pioneer head unit and it caused the lights int the car to flicker when the subs hit.

So i had to install a better ground and also a cap. and i also did the bigger Alt. So be prepared to watch for it or it will drain your bat. in the car.

But yes just the ehad unit change alone would have blowen you away For some reason they really did it wrong on thease cars when it came to the sound of the factory system. They souned good but when you change them you truley relise what was in the car.

Ehnjoy it!!
i have the same 600 watt amp from Hyphonics and i have been verry happy with it.

Sound is awsome!!
Congrats!!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 PM

You know. I notices when I get out of the car a couple of times, I gotstatic shock(when getting out of the car). Did you have that too?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:14 PM

nope i havent anymore. it used to but after regrounding things i dont get it But i also have the leather seats not cloth so i dont tend to have as much build up in the car.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 AM

Hehehe, that brought back memories.

My es-wife always got shocks when leaving my 01 Saturn. She insisted on the cloth seats which caused her to get shocked. I was sooo happy to trade that in for the Monte with the leather seats.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 PM

yeah the wife cringes at the thought of me havign leather thinking it was going to be to hot. but where i work i can pretty much leave the car unlocked all day with the windows down and still have it in veiw. So i keep the sun roof poped up on vent and the windows down far enough for a breeze to go threw them. and it is not to hot at all.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 AM

mickey: Im curious. You talked about regrounding everything. I also get shocked quite a bit and you piqued my interest. What does this involve? My amp could have been fried to a bad ground, so if re-grounding it helps, I'm all for it!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:14 PM

I re did the ground wires for my headlights, the alt, the motor to the frame and also the bat to the Alt. groundign.

pretty much went threw the car and grounded anythign i could that looked like it would help. took me and a frend a after noon to make the straps and also install them.

As far as my amp i did the grounding on it straight to the rear strut tower. so it is actually grounded on the rear strut.

i havent foudn a grounding kit for the monte carlo yet but would love to find one. If you do soem reserch on it you can find some destructions on how they do it on other cars also. this is what gave me the idea.
Jus tlike for my amp i actually have a breaker not a fuse so i dont ahve to worry about getting a fuse when it blowes. i just have to fix the issue and reset the breaker.