Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Your subs front or rear?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Default Your subs front or rear?

My subs are facing the rear. But I have notice others have theirs facing the front. Why is that?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Default RE: Your subs front or rear?

facing the rear= more thump for people around you to hear
facing foward= more thump for you inside

its all in your personal desire

Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you usually get a lot more sound quality and loudness from facing them rear ...suprisingly its actually better and louder to face them to the back

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM

mine fire in tot eh back of the rear seats. BUT
I have a sealed box and 2 12" subs.

If you want to port it it will change the sound also.

And if you face it the other way it will allow the sound to fill the trunk and then come forward in the car. I personally like the hard hit not the loud sound this is why i have mine the way they are. I tend to litsen to alot of old rock or even contry and rap once in a while But contry is base heavy in my car so i have to take the subs to a lower level when playing it.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:06 AM

ORIGINAL: scc24540

facing the rear= more thump for people around you to hear
facing foward= more thump for you inside
That's not always true. It all depends on the type of box you have, your vehicle and like Mickey explained, the sound you prefer.

Generally speaking, when your subs are in the trunk of a coupe or sedan, and in a sealed box, it is best to have the box as close to the back seat as possible with the subs firing towards the rear of the car with at least 12" between the subs and the trunklid. In theory, you trunk itself will essentially become a sub box and the bass will bounce off the adjacent surfaces and by the time the bass makes it to your ears it will seem louder. This is especially true if you fold down your back seat, the bass will be noticeably louder.

If you have a ported box, you can pretty much put the box anywhere in the trunk you want to, wherever it sounds the best to you.
But the above is not always true, to some people, it sounds best to have a sealed box firing into the cabin. The deciding factor will be your ears, try your subs facing both ways and see what sounds best to you.