Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New Head Unit doesn't have bass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Default New Head Unit doesn't have bass?

I recently have just baught a an 04 Intimidator, and want to put in a new head unit. Ive baught the gmos-04 harness tried hooking everything up and then I found out i need a 4 channel converter. so i baught that. So Once I finially baught that. I went fromthe factory wiring to the gmos-04 molex connection. than from that connection to thegmos-04unit itself. than comming out of the gmos-04 unit it has rca cables. So thats where the converter comes in i guess. so I than plugged the rca cables into the (in) ports on the converter and hard wired the cables coming out to my aftermarket radio harness. So everything works and powers up except i dont have conrols for my steering wheel and I dont have great bass. I would swap out my stock radio and aftermarket with the same cd and its no where the same bass at all? Does anyone have any ideas? thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Default RE: New Head Unit doesn't have bass?

check the converter and if you have dials on it turn then to Max. for the adj. you can controll it off the H.U.

Also check the gains etc... on the amp and make sure they are all ok some of them factory are turned way down so you dont blow anything up when you first hook it up

Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ive checked the dials and stuff. Ive turned them up all the way and same on the aftermarket unit. Ive turned up the bass all the way to. And still not to good of bass. What do you mean by gains. Sorry Ive never really messed around with my audio before. Ive installed head units no problem but never with an amp. The amp is just a small silver box with 2 wiring harnesses attatched ato it. I dont see any controls on it though.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM

1st. off are we talkign the factory amp? or a after market?
shoudl have asked this before. sorry.
If your talking the factory amp it is not a very good amp to push subs threw.

also let me know what amp you have if after market of take a photo of it.

If it is after market there should be some dials on it or some holes marked on it with ADJ. screws in them. you need to find the one that says gain on it. and turn it up to the right.

other wise after market unit is pretty straight forrward.
1. hook R.C.A. cabels to back of unit.
2. hook subs to speaker wires from amp and the R.C.A. wires from head unit to amp.
add power
add ground and add a remote wire. (normally put to a switched power source like ING. fuse etc... somethign that comes on with the key)
3. wire radio like it is suposed to be . red - hot
black-ground
white with strip neg. speaker etc...
also the new ones ahve a wire that needs to be pluged in to the power all the time this is the memory wire.
then throw disk in and enjoy .

Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM

no sorry its a factory amp. and yeah I was reading that its not to good. But with the factory setup its sounds pretty good. Pretty nice bass. Nothing crazy but good. So I was looking to retain that quality with just an aftermarket headunit. I wasnt looking at spending money really since its only temp. Im not sure if it possible?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 PM

not with the factory amp sorry. they are only about a 200 wat amp on a good day.
if i remeber correctly they were a jensen 200 wat and there were some that were somethign else. mine actually had a jensen sticker on it lol

but it could push the facotry 6x9's but not subs.
If you only had the 6x9's on it you might have a chance. but the subs requier alot more push.
also it is real hard on the subs them self they have a min. push if you go lower hten that you can actually blow them faster then if you over push them in most cases.

if you want a cheap amp go to a pawn shop in your area they have them there sometimes and you can ge tone relativly cheap they are not brand new but most of the time if you ask they will give you a month to bring it back if it fails. I know around here it is 30 day return with recipt. so make sur eya hang on to it. you might only get to trade it for a diffrent one but hey it is goign to work for your needs atleast till ya can get a better set up.

Also ask some of your buddies int he area some of them might have somethign in thier gradge or closet that they have for got about lol i have found several that way

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Ok darn, well ill guess ill have to look into places like that but, im thinking now just waiting to get everything or at least things little by little. What would I want to get if i wanted to get the pioneer avicz2 headunit. (meaning what type of amp and speakers etc...)

Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Default RE: New Head Unit doesn'

it really does come down to preference, but, are you trying to push your subs with the factory amp or your rear deck 6x9's? I lost bass from my stock speakers when I went to a different head unit, but, when I added subs, I killed all the bass going to them anyways. I didnt wanna take a chance of blowing them when I turn up my system when Im cruising and have the windows down.

I think we could better tell you what we would switch out if we better new what you had totally. Do you have any kind of aftermarket gear other than the headunit?