Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Craziest Electrical Problem after System Removal. Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Craziest Electrical Problem after System Removal. Help!!!!

Ok, so ever since I removed my sound system, it seems as if my Monte has gone wacko. Usually, when I remove my subs and amp, it doesn't act up. I'm completely stripping my car, because it is about to go for sale. I removed my capacitor, and it is gone crazy! It won't start, then, when I stop trying to crank, it makes a weird series of ticking sounds that sounds as if it's coming from the dash. Also, the radio reads "Locked." And even though I can switch to a radio station, no music will play. I will check behind the radio to see if everything is fully attached, but I feel like something else is wrong. Any ideas?? .

Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm guessing you either have:
- A failing battery lacking enough juice to keep all systems going
- Triggered the anti-theft system and may require a PCM relearn at least to start the car.

I would begin with ensuring the battery is fully charged.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- Triggered the anti-theft system and may require a PCM relearn at least to start the car.

Thanks! I have been having a lot of trouble with the battery... (Say NO to cheap Duralasts.) Since I'm in school, and I usually come home once every month and a half or so, I always have to jump it because it's usually dead. Since I don't have insurance on it, I can't drive it to let it charge it up, so it usually dies right after I charge it up. I will fully charge the battery tomorrow, and repost on here if there is any more issues.!.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

Ok I got some good news and bad news. Good news is, that I got it started, and all of the other problems stopped. But the bad news is, that I was driving it to the gas station to fill it up, but it wouldn't start. -_-. What's weird is, that everything turned on, but when I tried to start it, the engine wouldn't crank, tick, or nothing... But all electricity came on... It's so annoying!. Any ideas?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Sounds like a BCM problems maybe? Same thing happened to me when I took out my remote start.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Domo01SS
Ok I got some good news and bad news. Good news is, that I got it started, and all of the other problems stopped. But the bad news is, that I was driving it to the gas station to fill it up, but it wouldn't start. -_-. What's weird is, that everything turned on, but when I tried to start it, the engine wouldn't crank, tick, or nothing... But all electricity came on... It's so annoying!. Any ideas?
Still sounds like a failing battery to me. If the battery you have has been run dead many times its probably shot and time for a new one.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member

Yes, I was expecting that... Guess it's time to put an interstate in it! Really don't want to since it will be sold within the nexxt 72 hours, but I guess I have to! Here's another thing that I think it may be.....

The guy that I bought the car from installed a custom alarm by himself. (Unprofessionally.) It was wired all wacko. I was getting service done, and somehow wired it to the fan system, and was tripping the CEL. After that, I mysteriously lost my remote start and trunk unlock. Haha.! I've always had an aftermarket head unit in there, but when I have the factory head unit installed, it ALWAYS does this. I'm assuming that since he did a bad job at installing the aftermarket alarm system, that the stock alarm is going wacko when I put in the regular radio. Like I said, it NEVER does this when I have a different deck in, but ONLY does this when the factory radio is in... Hmmmm... I guess the cheapest way to get around this is to keep one of my old Head Units in there.....

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member

Haaa you guys were right! Battery was trashed, just ended up getting another Duralast since it was still warrantied. Solved the problem, but I sold the Monte the day after I got the battery.! Man do I miss her. Got a good chunk of change so I can go towards an 06 SS though. Local Stealership has a Silver one with 50K on it for only 11K with a really nice warranty. Can't pass that deal up.