Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Aftermarket Stereo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:25 AM

hey man did you have to buy the bypass modulator for your deck? I've been looking at installing the deck I bought but I don't know what I all need.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 PM

Not sure if you meant me and if not oh well here is somemore of my thoughts.

The interface I bought all it did was:

- keep me from butchering the factory harness as it has allthe leads required (power, remote on for amps, ground for head unit etc.) evenfor factory speakers if you wanted to use. I did not use as I replacedall of the factory speakers and ran my own wires (fronts in doors from headunit, rears from amp in trunk)

- maintains factory chimes, signal light noise (did used tocome through the factory radio)

- plugs right into factory plug comes with a wiring diagramvery self-explanatory

- does not maintain steering wheel controls for audio &does not maintain OnStar

• I think it was like $50 at Walmart and it is vehiclespecific.

• You can get a plug and with a proper schematic match up thewiring but you will not have any chimes

You don’t have to buy anything if you know what you aredoing but you will have to splice into the factory wiring or run completely differentwiring for your aftermarket head unit if you don’t want to alter your existing wiring. I have installed systems in my own cars foryears and this one was very very easy. Iwanted to maintain my chimes so that is the main reason why I went thisdirection.

The face/dash adapter for the head unit itself (convertsdouble din to single din) was also very easy as I didn’t want a large headunit. And like I said I like the littleshelf you now have as the remote for the head unit, a pack of smokes orwhatever fits in nice. Almost lookscustom installed and almost like it belongs there.