Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Head unit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 03:45 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Head unit upgrade

Just wonering is there a install kit needed for a new head unit as in able to attache it back into the spot where the stock one. Not talking about the wiring the mounting points on the radio. I want to ask because i haven't found a install kit for that part yet

Old 06-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The factory head unit is pretty common in GM vehicles from the era. Four screws, two on each side. Here's a Metra version

Results for: 2007 > Chevrolet > Monte Carlo > LS > 2-door > Coupe | Vehicle Fit Guide | Metra Online

Old 06-11-2023, 10:11 AM

I agree. Metra is the OG in this kind of stuff. Make sure to match the adapter kit to the size of aftermarket deck you bought (single or double din).

If you have any car audio shops local, they'll 100% have this in stock. This is the kit for literally like 2 dozen GM vehicles, so every car audio shop will stock it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 06-11-2023 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:43 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry for the late reply qhat head unit is a pretty good one i am leaning between kenqood or pioner. but what is a decent type because yes my og head unit is starting to fall apart like the **** and some of the buttons. Don't know why imo probably poor construction. But it thumps at times qith the speakers i put in and sounded ok qith the gm type stock. The speakers are kicker 2 ohm. Rear are three way and two way qith tweeter on the side. Of the front speekers. The car came like that. What is a decent not supper expensive and not cheep either a type i qould be happy with. Is kenqood still any good as well as pioner. Sorry for a big post and thanks everyone for there resones

Old 07-04-2023, 10:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've always liked Sony, but for the features I was looking for. Front rear or both for Aux & USB jack? **** for volume. Clean interface, Carplay or Andriod auto? Easy to bypass the in motion DVD block, XM, what ever suits you.

Old 07-05-2023, 12:41 AM

I'll caveat my response by first saying I've been out of car audio installation for 15 years and out of car audio altogether for about 10.

But last I played with head units, none were necessarily any better than the others. As long as you stuck with a mainstream brand and didn't buy the bottom end deck or two from that brand, performance for a daily driver/ non amplified setup was about the same across the board.

Power wise, they all make practically the same power (regardless what kind of garbage soem advertise on the box). They're all limited by the stock wiring/ fuse and efficiency limits of a modern amplification circuit. So none really have an advantage here (and being universal, they work to the lowest common denominator for car power supply).

You'd think some of the higher end decks would have better SQ parts in their internal amplifier (lower THD, smoother response, etc) - but I never really found that to be the case (at least not to a real world ear - ignoring the marketing garbage). From talking to a few reps over the years, anyone seriously into SQ is running external amplification for all speakers, so their focus on higher end units was just on getting the best signal to their pre-amp outputs. I never found any that had any groundbreaking changes for the built in high level audio outputs.

If it were me in your shoes today, I'd just find a mainstream brand with visuals/ controls you like, the features you need (Android auto, Bluetooth, etc), and just get something middle of the road. Id personally start with Pioneer as thats what I always ran in my monte back in my competition days, but I wouldnt be at all worried about branching out to another major brand.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-05-2023 at 01:34 PM.