General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Poo Poo aftermarket Sound System.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Poo Poo aftermarket Sound System.

Hi guys,
When I got my YellaJAC she had a full stereo system in her but it wasn't hooked up. Only the front speakers were working.
She had, SLP head unit, never heard of them. A 400w Audiovox 4 way amp and a 200W 2 way for the subs. Well I took the subs and amps out. The subs box had to weigh 80 lb.
I ran the head unit through the stock amp. It sounds OK. But the head unit is poo poo. It is a DVD player with a flip out display. After sitting overnight, I have to reset all my stations and audio settings. I have the memory connected directly to the battery. And the Power hooked up to aux on the key. Also I have to wait for the stereo to warm up before I can set the stations on the touch screen. Temps have been below 20° here in Jersey. I've hooked up many stereo systems in other cars, Mine, Family and friends. So I'm pretty secure about putting a stereo in a car.
So this spring I'm putting in a system. New head unit, separates for the doors, big magnet 6x9s on the rear deck and Maybe a free air woofer mounted in the center of the rear deck. "Maybe!"

My question in with the head unit install. Although I went in and rewired it to work, I didn't notice what connectors it was installed with. I want the steering wheel controls to work. And I think the current set up is causing my security issue.
So what connectors do I need to have the steering wheel controls to work and how do I install So the security (Pass-Lock) stops locking me out of STARTING the car?
These are things I have not done in previous installs!
Thanks for the help!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Heres the harness for the steering controls:
PAC® - Steering Wheel Control Interface

Im not sure about the passlock I used the cheap harness that dosent retain the ding sounds (they annoy the hell out of me) or onstar. That harness had the memory power built in but for acxesory power it came with a fuse tap and I used the windsheild wiper fuse. Havent had any passlock issues. You can use this harness to retain the ding sounds and ir comes woth the steering wheel control interface:
PAC® RP5GM11 - RadioPro5 OnStar Retention Interface

Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Soaxin, I want to use the steering wheel controls but I Also can live without the "Ding" or the Instate. They are a pain in the Bumm.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I believe the security issues and some of the easy user interfaces for things like the oil life and tire pressure systems are why some people installed an aftermarket head unit and left the factory one in the center console or the trunk (still wired up via the data wires).

In my Monte, I wanted to just have MP3 support, so rather then swap out for an aftermarket unit, I was lucky to find GM made a compatible head unit (never offered in the Monte) that works with MP3s. Got one, put it in, had a friend with access to a GM Tech II reprogram it, and now everything is perfect. Factory look, MP3 support, wheel controls. But that solution is only good if you were like me, happy enough with the factory sound system and only looking for one small additional option.

Also, all the crap GM routed through the radio was another reason I shied away from an aftermarket one.... I've installed aftermarket ones before. I was willing to forgo my wheel controls. At the time I was looking at this back in '08, the wiring harness along looked like it was about $80+ (when normally they were like $10-$20). I got a factory MP3 head unit for $50. Like I said, for me it worked out since I just wanted a small extra feature.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 AM

Montes have tpms and oil life? Didnt know that. What else goes through the HU?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi JC, there is also another steering wheel interface unit for aftermarket head units. This even lets you still have the factory chimes. I have it installed on with my unit for over 3 years now and it seems to work just fine, not even once generating any security issues.

Axxess GMOS 04 2000 2010 OnStar for GM | eBay

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Hi JC, there is also another steering wheel interface unit for aftermarket head units. This even lets you still have the factory chimes. I have it installed on with my unit for over 3 years now and it seems to work just fine, not even once generating any security issues.

Axxess GMOS 04 2000 2010 OnStar for GM | eBay
Keeps factory chimes? How about oil life and tpms? Thoes are what im worried about losing. Only thing that keeps Me from going aftermarket.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
In my Monte, I wanted to just have MP3 support, so rather then swap out for an aftermarket unit, I was lucky to find GM made a compatible head unit (never offered in the Monte) that works with MP3s. Got one, put it in, had a friend with access to a GM Tech II reprogram it, and now everything is perfect. Factory look, MP3 support, wheel controls. But that solution is only good if you were like me, happy enough with the factory sound system and only looking for one small additional option.
What head unit is this? Sorry to jack the thread a little JC. But this would be perfect for me. What's the cost to have someone reprogram it jason?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Keeps factory chimes? How about oil life and tpms? Thoes are what im worried about losing. Only thing that keeps Me from going aftermarket.
Hey hi Dave, no you do not retain those particular features. But those are re-set manually by using other factory designed means. Look at the links to articles below. Very simple and it gets the job done, so now you can go after market!!! Excuse me if you already knew of these alternate resetting measures.

Resetting Oil life light with aftermarket head unit link below:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...l-light-42591/

Resetting low tire light with aftermarket stereo link below:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...g-go-out-3854/

Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Ya do the ol turn your key to on hit gas pedal 3 times for oil reset.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Poo Poo aftermarket Sound System.