Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Relocating Stock head unit 2002 montie Carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Default Relocating Stock head unit 2002 montie Carlo SS

Relocating Stock head unit 2002 montie Carlo SS
I have seen some very nice custom installs on various website where they relocate the OEM radio in the trunk, but no one explains how they wired the two in.Is there a after market wiring harness I can buy to relocate my oem radio, one that maintains my Onstar and Bose amp? After reading all the reviews at crutchfield on the Gmos-04 I have decided to relocate my stock head unit, I would like to keep all my stock options in tact, such at door chimes, check oil, Onstar, Bose amp & all the other features that my OEM radio holds. New head unit Pioneer DEH-P5000UB New Subs POWER acoustik FUBR-12 New Amp power acoustik Gothic series 1 channel 3000Watts Max Class D mono block power amplifier New power acoustik 6 Farad Neon light digital display

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Default RE: Relocating Stock head unit 2002 montie Carlo SS

ok so let me get this straight the only reason you wan tthe stock head unit is for the chimes?
you can reset the oil minder, you will retain the tire monitor functions etc....
and you can reset it with the head light switch.

If this is the only reasons your trying to hang on to it there is a interface for doing this and it will give you a chime, also will allow you to not have to relocate the stock head unit to the trunk.

I actually have a pioneer AVIC-N4 in my car now with the nav etc... and the amps for the 12's
i dont have any cap in the system yet but that is due to me needing to still buy one after the last one was stolen.
I have seen some installs on the montes but would love to see more. I have yet to find to many of them.

Oh to answer your question yes you can get a relocation kit for the wireing harness in the dash to put the stock head unit in the trunk. belive most call them a t connector kit or a relocator kit. belive you can get them from crutchfeild also.
but they are like 120.00 for the kit not installed. compared to 60.00 for the chimes and onstar and wheel controlls interface.
I have the sterring wheel controls on mine i do not have the on star but the wires are there for it.

just a thought . but if it was the only reason for trying to keep the stock head unit i would not be doing it if i could save almost a 100.00 on a wireing kit. not to mention then you have to find a place to mount he stock head unit in the trunck etc...

Old 03-25-2008, 12:44 PM

i have been thinking about doing the same, but i don't want to relocate my stock head unit unless i have to. so i did some research and i found a peripheral. it keeps my chimes, and all functions of the message center.

so you want to retain your chimes, OnStar, BOSE amp, steering wheel controls,and the message center? then go to this link

chimes and message center: http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...?ProductID=161

steering wheel controls: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=170

its exactly what you need, but you won't have to relocate the head unit. just remove it completely.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM

yep that be what is in my dash. and works great other then the chime is the old ding ding ding in stead of a nicer system. but it dose the job and works good.

but i will say this putting that int eh dash SUX!! as it adds to teh wireing in the dash of the car and with a complicated ehad unit it is already enough in there to choke a good sized horse.
but the relocator is even worse from what i have see in some cars i have worked on with it in there.

this the solution to what you want to keep and also not having to keep the stock head unit.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:55 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey ok so let me get this straight the only reason you wan tthe stock head unit is for the chimes?
Thanks for the reply mickey ,
no, i would like to keep all functions in Tact. and relocation the OEM radio isnt a problem, i just need to find the proper T-harnest to relocate it. At this point price is no concern

ORIGINAL: mickey Oh to answer your question yes you can get a relocation kit for the wireing harness in the dash to put the stock head unit in the trunk. belive most call them a t connector kit or a relocator kit. belive you can get them from crutchfeild also.
I called crutchfield , I spoke to a women I believe her name was Yolanda , she told me " I have everything you need, Gmos-4 and something else for the steering wheel controls" I asked her about all my other functions such as AIR BAG deployment , she had no answerer ! , I also asked her how to reset the Oil indicator; she told me "put a piece of paper over the light, you will never notice the light is on. After she said this I dam near fell off my computer cheer.

This is my first custom install and I would like to make it look as factory as passable even if it takes spending the extra $$ to buy a relocation kit. ill be sure to post before and after pic's of the car once I am finished, but before I get started on this , I still need help finding a T- harness that will relocate my OEM radio for a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo ss with Bose amp & Onstar Thanks for your time. Ps a link I found that someone may need in he future

http://www.bestkits.com/Class2_BHA2004T.PDF

Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: schmicr

i have been thinking about doing the same, but i don't want to relocate my stock head unit unless i have to. so i did some research and i found a peripheral. it keeps my chimes, and all functions of the message center
Thanks for your reply Schmicr

Sorry but this is not true, I spoke to my Gm dealer today, I have an appointment tomorrow to bring my car in for service, he told me " all them aftermarket adaptors do not retain all your factory functions “he did how ever say the only True way to maintain all your original factory functions is to relocate the head unit witch is recommended by GM if replacing the OEM radio with Class 2 data bus.

Unfortunately he did not know the name of the T-harness for my make and model car.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Jiggly

ORIGINAL: schmicr

i have been thinking about doing the same, but i don't want to relocate my stock head unit unless i have to. so i did some research and i found a peripheral. it keeps my chimes, and all functions of the message center
Thanks for your reply Schmicr

Sorry but this is not true, I spoke to my Gm dealer today, I have an appointment tomorrow to bring my car in for service, he told me " all them aftermarket adaptors do not retain all your factory functions “he did how ever say the only True way to maintain all your original factory functions is to relocate the head unit witch is recommended by GM if replacing the OEM radio with Class 2 data bus.

Unfortunately he did not know the name of the T-harness for my make and model car.

Good luck at the dealer...like I said, RocknSS did it....and his set up is sweet. Let us know how you fare with your project!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 AM

ORIGINAL: rysZ3 Good luck at the dealer...like I said, RocknSS did it....and his set up is sweet. Let us know how you fare with your project!
I am only going to the dealer for service on the car, oil change Trans flush new fuel filter ETC. I would do this my self but I am getting to old and lazy. I will how ever start picking all there brains on this T-harness Gm recommends Can someone point RocknSS to this thread; I would love to chat with him.

======
Basically what i am looking for is a Radio data retention/relocation harness that is applicable for vehicles with Onstar and Bose systems, kind of like this one. Unfortunately the one in this pic won’t work on my car do to the fact I have Onstar and Bose system.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:08 PM

ok...i disagree with the dealer, but if you want to retain that and relocate the stock head unit, then make your own harness. it may be hard but it might be worth it. here is what i have seen. go to the dealer ship and buy the wire harness for your stock head unit. your aftermarket harness should be able to plug into the current harness wired into your vehicle. buy extra wire to match the wire color of the stock harness. pull your stock head unit out and place it in the trunk. the new "stock harness" you bought plug it into the stock head unit in the trunk. then take the extra wire you bought and wire the old stock harness and the new stock harness together. either solder them or crimp caps on it. now you should have your old stock harness open to plug in the harness for the aftermarket head unit. and you should also have your stock head unit now wired up in the trunk. you could also buy some plastic "stuff", not sure what its called, to put around the new wires to keep them together. or use electrical tape.

i hope all of this makes i can draw it out what i am talking about if you would like and send it to you. but i am pretty sure this will work if you want to go through it all. this is what i would do if i couldn't find the "T-harness"

Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A DEALER TO TELL ME IM LIEING ABOTU THIS!!
I have had a after market head unit in my car for over two years.
I can reset the oil lights fine
I can reset all of the rest fo the lights and beels and whistels just fine.
THE ONLY THING I CANT DO.
is to chang ethe set up on my key fob. personally i have it set how it will most likely stay for life.
Also i do have the stock head unit and can at any time put it back in to change this if i need to. belive me after this las ttime i have gotten pretty damed fast on taking the dash out of the car LOL

But how to reset the oil light
turn your car to on NOT RUN
DO NOT START CAR
push the gas peddel to teh floor three times wiht in 30sec. and then turn off the ing.
wait 10sec.
turn back on and start the car. If it didnt reset then repeat it till it dose.
THIS IS ACTUALLY KIND OF TRICKY TO GET THE HANG OF BUT YOU CAN DO IT AND ONCE YOU DO IT IS HARD TO NOT GET IT RIGHT

to reset your tier montitor.
turn the car to ON not run and do not start the car
turn on the park lights switch three times with in 10sec.
recycel the switch with a 10sec pause
then turn on car and start the tire montior will go off.

If you would liek to prove any of this
go let air out of one tire while the car is runnign it will trigger the light to come on on the dash.
then try it.
for oil ask them how they do it. if they go threw the radio they are crazy!! this has been the way G.M. has done it for years now. the monte has a option to reset it in the radio becuse folks had isses tryign to reset it ont he foot feed.

as far as the interface gose they first of all could not ahve it on the market your car has ONSTAR witch means that computer has to comunicate with it or your car will nto start and work properly .

Mine says right on the box in the dash FOR ONSTAR EQUIPET GM CARS AND TRUCKS
the othe rone is nothign more then a chime box. PErsonally you can have that damed thign i hate the stock chimes to.
Also this interface works to make yoru steering wheel controlls controll your radio. there is a learning proccess on it to get it to learn yoru car not hard to do either.

but im not going to tell you wha tot do with YOUR CAR,
but i will let you know they are tryign to bend you over on a harness that you dont need to make the stereo or the car to work.

I have a 03 SS with the 3800 in it. I do not have onstar but i have the controlls in teh steering wheel.
if you look at the photo album i have here you can see the dash of my car with the stereo installed.

OH and they will tell you tha thte stereo i have dont fit in a monte caro also. with i hve phtoos to prove that wrong in that same album.
i can even give you the dash kit numbers that you need for it to work for you as a singel din stereo with a flip out screen.
NOW
there is two diffrent kits one fits in the dash and stays behind the front part of yoru dash so it will sit further back in there and then you would not beabel to have the singel din flip out.
BUT the other one sits threw the dash and still sits inline with everythign and this is the one in my photos. and it will allow your stereo to flip out and not touch the dash in your car. all you have to do is adjust yoru flip angel to make sure that it dont contact the dash and save yoru settigns on pioneer it will set it in to memory and do it for you after the fsrst time of setting it.

If you would liek i can even get you photos of the new stereo that is in my car working with the NAV. in it and it is also a pioneer AVIC-n4
link 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE_SUJz5gkM

link 2 [URL=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y2yiGEE9Z0R/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=130AVICN4&tp=5684]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y2yiGEE9Z0R

Quick Reply: Relocating Stock head unit 2002 montie Carlo SS