Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): After Market Radio Help

Old 05-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Default After Market Radio Help

i recently installed a kenwood ddx419 double din in my 2001 monte carlo ss. bought a wiring kit from crutchfield. but after my car sits for a couple days the battery doesnt have enough charge to start the car. i have subs and an amp installed as well but never had a problem with them draining the power of the battery with the factory radio.

checked the alternator and it tested good. it has a brand new battery in it less than 2 months old.

check with multimeter when the radio was plugged in and with the radio unplugged to see what it read and it read the same numbers each time.

any help would be greatly appreciated since i really dont want to drive the car until the problem is fixed.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS
i recently installed a kenwood ddx419 double din in my 2001 monte carlo ss. bought a wiring kit from crutchfield. but after my car sits for a couple days the battery doesnt have enough charge to start the car. i have subs and an amp installed as well but never had a problem with them draining the power of the battery with the factory radio.

checked the alternator and it tested good. it has a brand new battery in it less than 2 months old.

check with multimeter when the radio was plugged in and with the radio unplugged to see what it read and it read the same numbers each time.

any help would be greatly appreciated since i really dont want to drive the car until the problem is fixed.
When you took the reading on the radio, what where you actually reading. 12V? Was the key in the On, Off or in Acc?
When you turn the radio off power, Battery Voltage is still available in the Battery line for the Memory. Even with the key removed. With the key in the On or Acc. Your power wire is Hot. You need to completely remove the radio and with the Ignition key removed, test the Harness with the adapter connected. If the new Adapter is the cause of your battery drain, that is the only way to test it. Something is on while the car is off. So that is How you have to test. When you find a line that is Hot you found your power drain!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM

yes sir key was pulled out of ignition and the whole plug was pulled off when tested when radio wasn't in the car. it read roughly 12.4v whether the radio was plugged in or was not plugged in.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

But on which wire. Your Memory wire should be Hot at all times. Otherwise you loose all your radio setting. Then you have a power wire that is connected to the Acc, position on the Ignition. That one should read 0v when the key is in the off position. All the other wires should be 0v as Well. Including the remote wire first your amp. The amp should very Co necked to the remote, normally Blue wire on your radio. Otherwise your amp will be on all the time and will drain your Battery!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM

I didn't even read the thread I can tell you had it on a active hot wire

Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM

memory works on the radio.

amp shuts off with key.

everything powers down with key from the looks of it. radio screen goes black, light shuts off on amp.

only thing left on is the red light blinking on the top of the radio for the security.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM

I am having the exact same problem.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/in...io-woes-51858/
If I unplug the aftermarket chime module, the drain goes away. Unfortunately I need the chime module to tell the radio to turn on and off. I tested the current drain on the car by removing the negative battery lead and used my multimeter to read DC current. Somebody out there must have an idea of what is going on and how to fix this issue.????