Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Any way to preserve after market radio settings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Default Any way to preserve after market radio settings?

Hey everyone,

I recently installed a Pioneer 3400 head unit, got everything sounding great and everything set up.

I was doing some work on the car today and had the battery disconnected though, upon buttoning everything back up and going out later this afternoon I realized that my radio completely reset itself, playing the Demo mode and everything.

Called up Crutchfield and they said it was normal.

That kinda sucks There are a lot of settings on these things and I really don't want to have to reset them every time I have to pull the battery. I thought there would be some kind of internal battery to save settings when power is lost at least. Does this mean the radio is constantly drawing power from the battery even when off?

Does anyone have a remedy for this? Is there anything being sold out there that will enable me to add in say, a 9V or other kind of battery pack between the power lines of the radio harness and the radio so when system power is disconnected, the radio will still be fed the power needed to maintain settings?

Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A lot of people run secondary batteries for their sound systems.

Unfortunately if you are disconnected for a good 5/10 minutes it does reset everything.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The factory radios store their settings internally on a Flash ROM setup. I think is AWESOME! I'm surprised the world of aftermarket radios is not doing this. Not that many people pop the battery often, but it's nice to not have to reset the thing when you do.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM

I see,

How would I go about installing a secondary battery just for the sound system or at least the head unit?

And yeah it does seem very strange that they don't have something of a flash memory or internal battery to keep settings when the power is lost, at least for a little while. I would of probably expected it of a lesser company but a not from a brand like Pioneer.

Last edited by djtiny; 06-15-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I heard something about hooking up some type of memory saving device that consisted of a 9 volt battery. Maybe try a google search (9v memory saver)or check out some of the audio forums on the web. I'm not sure if it was for the radio or the computer but maybe you can find something that works.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Hey, did that exact search and instantly found this -

Computer Memory Saver - 9V Style:Amazon:Automotive

I never thought of sending power upstream, it says it's specifically for retaining car computer setting but do you think it will work for the radio aswell?

Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 PM

How complicated is your stereo??

With mine I can adjust EVERYTHING... but it allows me to save my entire audio settings to the unit, so after a battery gets disconnected I can just "recall" my settings.

If you're really concerned write down your settings and keep them in the car.

Because really how often do you disconnect the battery anyway???

Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Mine has quite a lot of settings, crossover frequency, crossover settings, display and key color, obvious left right front back controls and radio presets, tone, EQ, settings for iPod connectivity etc. etc.

It's not hard to redo it but if there is an easy way keep them I'll do it.

I think the adapter I linked too will do the trick.

Do you think it's dangerous/would drain the 9V if it stays connected all the time?