Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6.5" components ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

12s will be sweet to have

Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

@walkingonabullet: Something has been buggin' me, & I had been meaning to ask you ... What did you mean by your comment " ... you have much to learn before you can tackle a carputer "?

Thank you, Sir.

(PS: Yes, I have been following your build thread ...)

Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 AM

idk what else that could be taken from that comment. lol a carputer is just a massive pain in the *** and requires far more planning than just dropping in a deck...i dred even doing it my self and ive alrrady been planning it out for months lol

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 AM

@walkingonabullet: Fair enough then.

Although I know this will come across as me being an a$$h0le, I just wanted to make sure you did not think I was not capable of building a computer --(click)--> https://montecarloforum.com/forum/of...uilding-33490/

Now where we squeeze them into (homes vs. cars), & what we squeeze onto them (software), & what we do with them (MCF & pr0n vs. droppin' bass, boom, bottom) is whole-heartedly different ...

Last edited by Zeke; 01-18-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 PM

haha oh yes, thats the kind of work i do, although i never get into the tech flex bs, i believe in a practical job not a showy job, but ive done show jobers lol just not what i do for my self anymore XD

i just rewired my rig 2 weeks ago for the first time in awhile. probobly a year + was a bit messy XD had to pull some stuff. im gonna be doing a complete revamp with a new 2011 socket with a 6 core, some quad channel ram, 16 gb and a bad *** ssd\HDD hybrid thinger lol its bad *** and its 1tb but yep very excited for that build, also gonna drop another 570 in just for ****s and giggles.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM

I didn't use tech flex, or the junk from furry letters either.

MDPC-X.com

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Default Another build!

Hi guys,

I just finally got my 07 SS & looking to put a system in. I have been following your posts. I need help. I've sent Walking on a bullet a few messages and would like to open this up to others as well.

I've looked at Hybrid, and really want the L6's. What do I need to make these work? I want to keep the stock door speaker grill, stealth look. Is this possible with these? I know custom baffles would have to be made. But will they sit behind the stock speaker grills? If not, any other speaker recommendations? Also looked at CDT. ES-62iM (shallow depth) + ES 06+
1 e/a 6.8" Long excursion subwoofer or QES 1020
1 e/a 10" Cast Minibox Subwoofer. The guy from CDT said these would be awesome subs for what I need.

Does anyone have a template for the L6 already or would you be willing to make them for me? Would pay of course! Like to keep the tweets in there as well.

My main goals are:
1. Stock speaker location & hidden.

2. Sound Quality, but does not need to go above 100db, 110 most. I usually listen around 87db.

3. Still have use of trunk. I was also thinking of getting a box made to contain the subs to fire thru the 6x9 location. Is this a good idea? A pair of 8" or 6"? I really need the sub to be clear, not boomy. I don't need massive or competition bass. This is just for me! (quality) @87db.

Or will a single box in the trunk achieve this? Sealed enclosure 10 or 12" ? If so, do you just remove the 6x9's and let it vent that way? I guess the other option would be to let down the seats and have it fire that way. I remember when I was 18, that always sounded way better. But I would love not to have to do that every time I get in & out of the car. What's your thoughts?

The MS-8 looks great. I'm familiar with using RTA's for tuning PA systems. SIA Smaart Live. I just wish it had Parametrics as well, but it should work fine. The Alpine unit looks nice as well. I will run active, since I'd be able to. The massive audio amp does look like it fits the bill nicely. Was thinking about getting the Pioneer AVH-3300BT. My Phones got Nav.

Last, is the deadning. What products do you like? Where and how much do you think I need for my listening level. I understand this is the most important part next to getting those doors correctly done. Any tips with this would be greatly appreciated!

I thank you all for your help!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM

@mpprofire: As far as firing something up through the OEM 6x9 openings, I am shooting a pair of 12s through each side in "infinite baffle" ... & I am doing this without having to modify the read deck in ANY way ... & I will get all the sound quality I am looking for ... compared to the booom I have grown tired of from a couple 12s in a sealed enclosure for the past 10+ years, etc.

Though if I read your post correctly, you stated you are looking to utilize some odd-sized 6+" driver for "rear fill", & a 10" sub in a loaded enclosure for bass?

As far as the doors/front stage goes, there is not a TON of room to work with as far as building a dedicated enclosure to a component driver & keep it behind the OEM door panel. Many places say to actually use a short-throw component set (like Boston's SR60's), but you can use drivers that are up to a half-inch deeper (mounting depth-wise), & still keep them behind the panel ... as long as you use the OEM mounting bracket ... You can even - easily - mount up to a 1" tweeter down there, though in most instances I, personally, mount them a little higher ... or on the A-post/pillar. I suppose if you do not use the stock bracket, you left with a bunch more space to create something ...

Source units: Pioneer or Alpine
What I just bought: Pioneer FH-P8000BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

12s - Kicker Comps - 4-ohm
6.5" Components - Most likely Rockford Fosgate Power T3's, ... if not, then Power T2's.
Amp: Awesome Kicker 3-channel amp - ZX.550.3 (1st gen., severely underrated)
All high-quality interconnects, wiring, caps, breakers, etc.

PLEASE get back to us about what you are going to do, & when you do it! =)

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Default 6.5 2way + Sub Active

@Zeke

The odd sized 6" from cdt was to be used as a sub, not rear fill. From the conversation I had with them, they said, "there's nothing in that size range that can compete with these. They also will go down all the way to 35hrz." My idea was to have 2 small speakers mounted up there, blowing through the stock 6x9 location. The other option from them was a 10" sub in a separate enclosure located in the trunk. Again, I'd like to keep as much trunk space as possible.

The 6.5's from CDT look interesting too. ES 62iM these are very slim. Less than 2"

Subs: Subwoofers ES 06+ or QES 1020

I bet those 12's will thump hard! I just don't need that much. My listening levels are not that loud. The loudest level I ever listen at without ear plugs is 110db. My goal is HQ sound at a normal listening level. 87db(ish) Trust me on this one. If you are listening to anything that loud 100db or over for a long period of time, you are frying your eardrums. Don't mean to sound like an old lady! But it's the truth. I've done Live sound for 20 years with systems used by Metallica and such. Most live concerts don't exceed that level.(110db) You won't realize the damage until it's to late. It happens slowly over a long period of time.

Anyways, back to the system. I've contacted a local installer and they said they'd be willing to help with a custom baffle. My question is will these Hybrid L6's work inside there/within the stock grills? If not, what's the next best option? They, the installer, carry: Memphis, Alpine, RDK? JL, Alpine. They also said they'd put in anything that I wanted to. He told me, I would not like the Memphis; to Crispy and I agreed after hearing them. The Alpines I heard~ same thing although they were at bestbuy. Focal's: 3 way sounded nice and balanced. The 2ways, sounded tinny & the 400/500htz area was pretty boxy. These were probably not set up right though. Frustrated! just want clean balanced sound, in stock locations. I still have hope in the Hybrids, just no way to hear them first or if they'll fit.