Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

New System - Built around Sirius Docking Radio

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New System - Built around Sirius Docking Radio

I have had satellite radio for a while and really like it. Problem was my docking radio was only setup for 1 of my cars via aux port. I wanted satellite in both cars, and did not want to get multiple subscriptions for 2 vehicles. I also did not want to use the aux port because you cannot control the docking radio or display song text on the receiver with this setup. So, rather than buy a 2nd subscription and a Sirius SC-C1 which would have probably cost less), I spent all the money on multiple accessories to have 1 subscription and radio controls for 1 of my cars.

I had my KIV-BT900 in my old car using a KTC-HR200 HD radio tuner. My ideal situation for the MC was HD radio tuner & SiriusConnect for docking radio using another Kenwood accessory I had lying around (KCA-S220A) which essentially lets you run 2 accessories that utilize the "CD changer" input. Problem is that you can only utilize an HD radio tuner or the SiriusConnect not both, lame. So a compromise had to be reached. The compromise was HD tuner goes into daily driver & Sirius Dock n Play goes in mc. Daily driver will use aux port for satellite radio so I can still use the HD radio tuner, which is DEFINITELY worth keeping, especially if you listen to any amount of AM radio (baseball) on your commute.

I needed a new receiver for my daily driver and really like my KIV-BT900. I decided to go with the KIV-701 which is essentially the same thing without bluetooth but a rear camera hookup. Here is a picture of the 701 in my other ride. I hardwired a cigarette lighter to receiver to power satellite docking radio and kept it in the back of the stereo. HD tuner is under the seat. Forgive the lack of a trim ring, haven't gotten around to hackin this thing up yet...

Now, to the MC. Here is all the stuff (minus the stereo) I put in here.

I wanted this setup to retain all of the factory chimes & controls so I got the GMOS-LAN-01 & the Axxess ASWC steering wheel controls. The relay clicks to keep a noise for the turn signal, although it is pretty loud.

Here is everything wired up to the BT900. The GMOS-LAN already had the steering wheel controls wired up which threw me off for a bit. I just plugged in the ASWC and wired up the input wire to the receiver and that was done.

Now I pulled the center console out completely for installation of everything. I had to drill out 2 rivets that hold the cover to the console. I screwed the sirius docking station inside the console & ran the ipod connect in there too. I mounted the sr50 module to the front of the center console, under the cupholder area. Its pretty much buried in this picture though.

Then I mounted the bluetooth mic

Next satellite antenna was mounted. I would like to utilize the factory antenna, but didn't want to mess around finding it right now. It sucks having 2 antennas on the roof.... This will be gone in the summer just too cold to mess around with it now.

Now docking radio & stereo in. All steering wheel controls work with everything, including the docking radio. Check the text display too, nice.

Gotta say I am happy with how everything turned out, looks like its suppose to be there!