Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

02 monte with intermittent radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 02 monte with intermittent radio problem

i have recently bought a 02 ss monte with a radio problem.The problem just started where the radio will work then no sound. I will have radio display but zero sound. At first I thought it had something to do with the security because it would quit then when I got back in the car it would be working. but driving yesterday it kinda made a weird noise then shut down then it would pop back on then off again, ithas been off ever since. I checked voltage to the amp in the trunk but thats about as far as I was able to check, I dont know where else to check for voltage or signal. Is there someone that can tell me what wires do what in the amp box in the trunk? Maybe even have a idea what goes where in the plug connections to the amp, im not sure how it operates, does it receive signal from radio then to speakers or does it send signal to radio then to speaker?

I also dont have the door chime

Thanks for your help
Bob

Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hey I figured out what was wrong with the radio, it's apparently a common problem. If you don't have power at the orange wires at the amp in the trunk it's a good possibility that the same thing could be wrong with yours. If you notice at the amp there are 2 orange wires that plug into the amp and they are side by side and should read 12 volts, and if you notice there is only one larger orange wire in the harness up front coming out of the fuse block harness. So right at the rear floor board passenger side there is a split connector going from 1 wire to 2 wire which commonly corrodes due to water in the floor board. It's close to the rear passenger seatbelt anchor. Remove it so you can pull the carpet back and have access to the wire harness, I just cut the tape wrapping the harness and found the split wires and soldered them together and put shrink tubing on it to seAl them up