Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

Many Monte Carlo problems, your help is welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Default Many Monte Carlo problems, your help is welcome!

Hey all;

I've posted before, and now I finally got an idea of whats' actually wrong with my car.

SO I bought this car (2002 monte carlo LS) for $700 about 3 months ago. In that time, i fixed:

A Blown Head Gasket
Replaced the Exhaust
New Brakes
New Radio head in there
dents here and there

I[m getting quite sick of the expensive repairs, and now my mechanic is telling me I need a Body Control Module to turn off my Security light. It was locking my radio, so I put a new radio in there so it wouldn't lock it, as thats all it was doing wrong.

Now I have several issues, and I want to know if I have these right, or something else is wrong:

The new radio doesn't play at all. It's definitely wired correctly. I'm assuming I have to bypass that stupid Amp in the back, as it was the source of my radio not working in the first place.

The Security light is a product of my car being in "Fail-Safe mode" Which is a blessing more than a curse, as it means my theft deterrent system is disabled.

The final problem is really my only issue. Every two weeks or so, my cluster shorts out, I have to unplug my fuse for my cluster/bcm, plug it back in, and my cluster immediately comes back on. Everytime I do this, my car seems to have to relearn everything, and my MPG drops, so this sucks. Why would my cars cluster randomly stop working? My thought is it's related to the FailSafe mode, and the wire causing the security light is the same wire causing the cluster to go off.

In short:

Security light = Bad Wire connection on the BCM. causes no other problems.
Solution: Let it sit, Security light's not scary

Radio = Blown fuse in the amp, or blown amp over all
Solution: Bypass Amp, get new Amp, replace fuse in amp

Cluster: No clue
Solution: No clue

Help!

Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 PM

I don't know about the security light other then what I have read around on the net. But it could be a ignition problem. The way I understand the ignition reads your key and if it fouling up it might give you the security light. I had a key made for our car and just the other day it randomly wouldn't start the car. Security light came on. But after it set for a bit due to me not having the original key at home, it started right up with original key. It hasn't done it since.
But the main reason I replied to this is because I just today fixed factory radio after some time without radio. I was testing wires from the dash going back to the amp and found that on the passenger side the wire harness heads to the back of the car under the door plastic trim. I had power there at the larger orange wire but not at the amp, then I realized that there are 2 orange wires that power the amp so realized that there is a spliced connections, long story short right at the rear passenger floor board near where the seat belt is anchored to the floor under the carpet is a dang splice going from 1 to 2 wires going to amp and it wAs corroded in half. Why I don't know but my floor board is sop and wet in this area. I will have to figure this out later. But anyway I soldered these wires and heat shrinked a sleeve over it. When determining if my amp would work I made a small jumper and jumped from the white wire in the connector over to the orange wire and the radio worked so I knew it would work once I figured out where the orange wires were losing their voltage. Hope this will help someone out

Old 11-30-2013, 10:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's one of many links about the story:
Paul Walker dead at 40: 'Fast and Furious' star killed in fiery car crash - Daily News

Kinda freaky irony that it was a car crash of all things. Sad to see anyone go out this way.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Here's one of many links about the story:
Paul Walker dead at 40: 'Fast and Furious' star killed in fiery car crash - Daily News

Kinda freaky irony that it was a car crash of all things. Sad to see anyone go out this way.
Jason think you mis posted this...