Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What would have caused this!!!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What would have caused this!!!

01' SS 160,XXX miles on it. Looked under the hood today and my Spectre CAI is cracked in half? What would have caused this? Do I have a blockage or an obstruction some where? Maybe just from old age? The CAI was on it when I bought the car. I ordered a K & N replacement but I'm hoping something isn't going on serious that would have caused this to happen?

I'm attaching a pic.....

Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 PM

Sorry that it cracked, but it looks like age and maybe a constant vibration started to crack the metal on the unit under it & it just came apart. (*Thanks for posting a picture) Make sure your new K&N isn't touching any other parts on the engine. Good Luck. Time wears out certain parts for sure.

Hopefully one of our expert member's can add their thoughts on this (?) I'm not an expert Oh, I don't think there should be any future problems if you install the new one correctly.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks.....so I just cancelled my K & N order 'cause now I'm not sure it will fit? The intake pipe measures 3" and I don't wanna have to buy a bunch of other parts like pipes and spacers and what not. The K & N says its a "4" inlet cone" which I think means its gotta have a 4" pipe....right?

So I'm thinking this Spectre that was on there is a model: Spectre HPR9881 but I'm not sure? The K & N I ordered was model: RE-0870 but I'm thinking it won't fit that 3" intake pipe? So I cancelled the order on it. Any thoughts on what will fit? I'm trying to stay around the $50 mark if I can. Thanks agian.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by michelob
Thanks.....so I just cancelled my K & N order 'cause now I'm not sure it will fit? The intake pipe measures 3" and I don't wanna have to buy a bunch of other parts like pipes and spacers and what not. The K & N says its a "4" inlet cone" which I think means its gotta have a 4" pipe....right?

So I'm thinking this Spectre that was on there is a model: Spectre HPR9881 but I'm not sure? The K & N I ordered was model: RE-0870 but I'm thinking it won't fit that 3" intake pipe? So I cancelled the order on it. Any thoughts on what will fit? I'm trying to stay around the $50 mark if I can. Thanks agian.
'
One of our tech member's would have to answer your above questions. Sorry. I think it's going to be difficult to get a kit or decent filter for $50 (?)

Check the below link to see if it helps you until one of our tech members see's your post > Good Luck.

If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider something like the below until you can get something better ?

\
5 out of 5 stars
3 3
\FREE Shipping on eligible ordersdry flow air filter is engineered ... Vehicles with3.00" Air Intakes \
Automotive:See all 171 items

Click above link for more filter's that may work

montecarloforum.com › ... › Your Ride › Headers/Intake/Exhaust

Jan 17, 2012 - like the title says, which full air intake system is the best for a 2001 Monte Carlo ss? Price not a concern as i ... 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.Aluminum Intake Manifold for 2001 Monte SS
Dec 13, 2012

More HP!!!
May 22, 2007

Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 AM

Did you have a bad vibration like a wheel out of balance or something like that.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the links BeachBumMike, I called Autozone and they said they think they have some K & N filters that will fit.

Montedd I had some tires installed at Belle Tire a couple years ago that are almost reaching their end of life and I've had to return twice because of a wheel weight falling off on one tire. So I was plagued with that "side to side" vibration. That might have led to this do you think?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

them spectre intakes are not good quality at all and this is the result of buying cheap parts. i am 99.9% sure your car is completely fine and the intake is just poor quality and broke.

k&n makes a 3" filter just gotta google it

K&N Releases a New 3 Inch Flange Cone Shaped Universal Air Filter

these guys also make a great filter, i feel better than k&n

Green Filter USA - Cone and Cylinder Filter Search

Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member

Well wish I had read Turbo Monte's comments before going to Autozone. I noticed they had a K & N there with a 3" flange and a Spectre with a 3" for only about a $10 difference. I opted for the Spectre since it was what was on the car when I bought it. I didn't know there was a big difference in quality, oh well if this one craps out its K & N on the next one. Thanks guys.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 PM

yes, we live & hopefully we learn as we travel this journey called life. I hope your present one last and it's good you got it replaced. You don't what unfiltered air + getting in2 your throttle Body and causing problems.

Thanks for your update & a reminder to all that read that it pays to do your homework & searches before buying any parts for your vehicle(s). Good Luck to you > `All

Old 03-22-2016, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Those whole kits are pretty bad, while you have the new filter, you should save up for a proper cold air intake for the car

Get a proper box around it, something like the Cold Air Inductions version

Search this Thread