Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

More HP!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Default More HP!!!

I have just got a 2002 Monte Carlo SS...I love this car but feel like the 3800 engine could produce so much more power...i was wondering if any of you knew of any quick fixs for some more pick me up...any help is greatly appreated.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Default RE: More HP!!!

Same as on other threads, Cold air intake, CAI, or fender well intake, FWI (same general idea, different locations) once the intake is done the exaust should be done. A competant shop can replace the U-Bend you have undoubtedly heard about , then a high flow catalytic converter and Resonator delete will add some HP. After that, main options are forced induction (turbo/supercharger) with significant tuning. Aftermarket high power ignition. Trans shift kit will improve time, noticable improvement, allthough doesn't actually increase hp, just utilizes it more efficiently.

Nitrous, allthough be prepared for trans problems, because as much power as nitrous will add, just like turbo or supercharging, it is hard on the transmission. Nitrous is the best bang for the buck, doesn't require exhaust modification, allthough you will see the best benefits if you have a better flowing exhaust. Turbocharger requires significant exhaust mods (to power the turbo). Supercharger requires significant intake and belt-system mods as well, allthough the exhaust can stay stock, allthough you will se much better power if you go with a high flow exhaust.

Best reliability is seen with a true cold air intake and exhaust. Past that you will be producing more HP then the trans can reliably handle.

Someone sooner or later will post a link to a website that has pre-made ubend deletes, or even full cat-back exhaust. If you want to go further without doing custom exhaust/intake work (aka lotsa money) then you can put on some aftermarket headers. These at best will net a few horse on a non-turbo or supercharged car.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

search around the site a little, we've covered this a LOT

basically its some exhaust upgrades and a cold air intake are the 2 biggest things you can do for the most hp gain for the least amount of money

Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Go for Borla Exhaust power increase was amazing when i got mine the cartook off so much better and more power in the top end

Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

the biggest thing is that u-bend between the cat and the resonator needs to go...get rid of that and that will free up some horsepower...and while your there you may as well get rid of the resonator and put a highflow cat in if the funds are there...that will free up the flow a lot and help the get up and go of your car

Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=110

this will help alotalso most likely the least amount of money

Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM

also if you go with a downpipe only go with 2.5 because with the 3" one you will lose alot of torque

Old 05-25-2007, 07:23 PM

There's tons that you can do to increase the HP of your 3800 without reducing the reliability of it. As mention, a CAI & new exhaust will provide the fastest, most noticeable differences but you can do a whole lot more. The best choice in an exhaust (in my opinion anyways) seems to be the GM PerformanceCat-Back seems to be the best bang for the buck; straight through design, bolt on & inexpensive.I would advise that you stay away from any superchargers or turbochargers unless you're willing to go 'all the way' with replacing parts. You can easily acheive close to 300 HP without reducing the reliability of your engine, and blowing 1,000$ on a super/turbo. Plus, torque steer is no fun with our front wheel drive cars. A 3.4" pulley, PCM, larger throttle body & spacer and headers will bring you close to 300 HP, and will not affect gas mileage & reliability. Also, there's no need to replace the t-stats on the 3800 II engines, they come with 180* t-stats. I don't see any reason why anybody would want to go to 160*.

Of course, you can't upgrade the go-go without the stop-stop, so think about investing in a new set of brakes. You might also want to consider lowering the suspension while you're at it.

Chris

Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM

I have a 2001 monte carlo with a K&N intake i here alot about the SS but i only have a L.S i was really looking for help becuase me and my friends just started a car club. i have one of the fastest cars in it supprisingly but a kid with a friggn Jap GST still smokes me.. i really wanna find a way to give me as much speed as possible. i am gettin the u pipe and resonator replaced this weekend and the intake shud help a little with that. im having trouble finding websites for parts or which ones to choose. Another 2 questions i had was is there a supercharger that will fit my 3.4 becuase im willing to spend the money for all the speed i can. also i found a power programmer by hypertech and it says its for ss wud it fit my l.s

id appreciate all the help i can get and wud like to get involved in this forum
thanks
-Ray

Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 PM

Check out the performance packages here for good info.

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...tegory_Code=PP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More HP!!!