Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

what can i do with the 3.5l to get mor hp

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

just did some matching. with a 350z guy i now in va and he and i looked at his and my headers. they seem like the aftermarket headers for the altima 3.5 would work. but i dont think they will work with out serious pipe bending to conect the headers to the exaughst.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:22 PM
15 Year Member

by the way seen anouther monte that is the 01 ss supercharged. the guy said that the aftermarket inter cooler will work great for the 01 ss. but he had to upgread the blow off valve is that true for the 01 ss.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
15 Year Member

oh the intercooler that i am thinking on puting on mine he said i would just retune the pcm? for the idel and accelleration and buy the way had to get more bends for the tubeing for it i really would like it on just for looks.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 PM
15 Year Member

anouther question in away how would i keep my pcm in the air box cool, when i decide to put all the pipes and intercooler on?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM

they seem like the aftermarket headers for the altima 3.5 would work. but i dont think they will work with out serious pipe bending to conect the headers to the exaughst.
I wouldn't even bother trying that. Isn't the 3500 a similar bolt pattern to the 3100/3400? I'm sure if you're dead set on getting headers, that you can find some from another wbody car that are far closer a fit than something off a nissan.

by the way seen anouther monte that is the 01 ss supercharged. the guy said that the aftermarket inter cooler will work great for the 01 ss.
There were no factory 01 SS Supercharged montes that I've ever heard of, only 04-05 montes.

The only kind of supercharger that a regular turbo front mount air-air intercooler will work with is a CSC (like 1/2 a turbo with a pulley in place of the exhaust turbine). They don't work with a positive displacement supercharger like the one that came factory on the L67 unless you do a ton of custom work. The L67's use a water to air intercooler which uses a regular radiator up front.

but he had to upgread the blow off valve is that true for the 01 ss.
Upgrade the blow off valve for what? What engine did he have? If it was a 3800 with a L67 top end on it, he does not have a blow off valve at all. Regardless, there is no reason to change a blowoff valve due to adding an IC- the BOV should be mounted near the inlet of the TB- and thus it wouldn't really move if you were intercooled or not.

oh the intercooler that i am thinking on puting on mine he said i would just retune the pcm? for the idel and accelleration
Retune it for what? If all you do is hook up the intercooler, nothing will change. You will lose power, but it is going to be pretty insignificant. Your car has a MAF sensor that reads the actual amount of air coming into the engine- so once you put on the intercooler, it will flow less air due to all the restriction, and the MAF will accordingly read the new, lower amount- and fueling will automatically adjust.

buy the way had to get more bends for the tubeing for it i really would like it on just for looks.
Then just put it on for looks- don't hook it up. Just mount it up front with a foot or so of piping on each side. No reason to add even more weight and chances for leaks, and less power to actually hook it up- just hang it up there and leave it.

anouther question in away how would i keep my pcm in the air box cool, when i decide to put all the pipes and intercooler on?
Like I said- don't even bother hooking it up. If you think it'll look so cool with an intercooler- then just mount the stupid thing, and make it look like its hooked up from the outside.

If you get rid of the factory airbox, just secure the pcm down and leave it. It does not need cooling of any sort.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
15 Year Member

it is all tlk for know just wanted to get input. from people on this site to hear what they say there is one that has a small inter cooler on his. looked neat but didnt like how the person did it. i rather look around and be different. i am still wondering why chevy put there pcm in the air box. if the heat didnt matter

Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 AM

wow, i feel dumber for reading this thread. i'll leave it at that.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:12 AM

monte07, i just saw another thread that you posted in. you said that you you have a 5.3 lt3 (i think you meant ls4) and the transmission but are waiting to pay off your car before you put it in. if this is the case, and i highly doubt it is, then why are you looking to throw money at the 3.5?

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM

wow, i feel dumber for reading this thread. i'll leave it at that.
I'm with you on this one dude.
Page 3 made my brain hurt.

Please make it stop.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by monte07
i am still wondering why chevy put there pcm in the air box. if the heat didnt matter
Who knows- I'm sure they have some reason for it. There are some GM PCM's that just sit out in the open on some factory vehicles. The connections are weather pack- so moisture isn't an issue.

There are tons and tons of people running GM pcm's out of the box with 0 issues, so there is no reason to be worried at all about it- just make sure you mount it securely, and all will be fine.