Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

what can i do with the 3.5l to get mor hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default what can i do with the 3.5l to get mor hp

ive gotten mufflers but still feels like a performance lage up graded my plugs to e3 type helped a little ordered the mdp type cold air and have the fully functional hood to boot is there any moore to get more hp with out an l3 389 v8 engine swap for the 06-07 models i know the engine bolts up to the tranny because i worked at a chevey dealer there four speeds fwd 3.5 is the 5.3 tranny some thing know one will tell outher than people in the back and the techs but is there any hope for the 3.5 other than a engine swap there is no headers that would have been a big help no tuner chips anouther big help jet tuners only have programers for the 3.4 3.9 5.3 motors is there any hope befor i sink money into a swap or trade it in for the monte ss type with the 5.3 l3 type help by the way did some home work what i read it will be beast to take it to the back of the barn and burn the car if there is no outher parts for it for the 3.5l v6

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Default RE: what can i do with the 3.5l to get mor hp

yep u pretty much have it!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

There is nothing short of a engine swap or trade it in on a Vette. Or you could get one of those G8 that is making the scene now.
Right now GM is not looking good for anything in the performance line.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM

the 3500 and 3900 is basicly the same motor did you look in to see if the 3900 tuner would work for it ?
if you have any fabing skills,you can get header flanges at wot-tec to build your own headers.you can cam regrinds from any cam company.
there is stuff you can do it's just you can't go to the local shop and buy everything

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
15 Year Member

i have looked at the programers for the 3900 and the perameters are alot different than the perameters for the 3500 and i was talkin to a local tune shop they will look into the peramiters of what i need for the right tuner program i have seen the jet type of tuner for the 3900 the company said that they will see if they will come up for a custime tune for what i am looking for the 3500 computerthe shop that i was at localy found some headers for it the 3900 will fit after slitting the bolt hole on them because the 3.5 headers start as dual and go into a y pipe and go to the mufflers that i put on it is just time and patients to do every thingwith the air box that i have i custimed a 06 3500 box to make it look like a stock box and have a really big cone and pipe running from the frunt into a inter cooler witch healped out alot but i am looking into the injectors from a sc 3900 to see if they will fit so there will be no lean codes i am also looking into a turbo kit for it but it looks kind of slim i would like to get a disco potato for it t4/t5 style that i had on a 95 3400 which ran exelent with wish that i never sold it to my friend that needed a a rice killer in va he still said it out runs every turbo civic he came across

Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Seriously, monte07- take a few extra seconds when posting to use some punctuation, and try adding some spacing in there too. Its nearly impossible to understand what you're trying to say when you have 500 words slurred together into one sentence.

what i read it will be beast to take it to the back of the barn and burn the car if there is no outher parts for it for the 3.5l v6
Why is it the car's fault that you didn't do research on aftermarket potential before you bought it - since that seems to be your intention. Also, I don't think it's the car's fault that you bought the lowest output engine offered in that year either.

There are people who have made decent power with the 60* engines- you just have to search more. Its not an easy road to follow, but there are parts available.

Why don't you tell us what your goal is power wise (or 1/4 mile wise) so we can tell you if its even remotely realistic with your current engine? If your goals are too lofty, you may be better off selling your car, and buying an SS.

there four speeds fwd 3.5 is the 5.3 tranny some thing know one will tell outher than people in the back and the techs
GM tells you too, its not like its some special secret- although I'm betting the 5.3 is an HD variant, whereas the 3.5 runs a regular 4t65- just like the supercharged 3800 got the 4t65HD while the N/A 3800s got the regular 4t65.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
15 Year Member

i was hust expecting that there were mods for the 3.5l like there were for the 3.9l 3.4l montes. i am satisfied with the car now with the different rims and exaughst. just was expecting that there were just as much mods for the 3.5l just got a email back from superchips that there programers that they have will be haveing programs for the 3.5l. just as well as the 3.9 models but it is a crawl right know because they said the cpu is tempermental for the new tunes for the 3.5l. went to mpd finnaly got there air box it will be here in a couple of days just a little ticked that there is no headers for it yet i have three inch pipe all the way to the mufflers sounds great runs great just feels like it needs a little more pep thats all that i am looking for. just that the v6 that chevey makes have so much potential its not funny. like the grand national experimental that they had and in the montes in the 80's models that no one wanted and now every one wants. but i also have a intercooler that i would like to put on but trying to figure out to put it on but would like to do more figureing out thats all

Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

I recently talked to Milzy Motorsports and they said they could do headwork and port and polish the intake and ecm work. With enough demand, they would develop a cam (the Monte 3.5 has variable valve timing unlike the older 3.5). You found 3900 headers?...do tell me where!! I just put nitrous on my 3.5 and I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM

i have three inch pipe all the way to the mufflers sounds great runs great just feels like it needs a little more pep thats all that i am looking for
Doesn't 3" exhaust seem a little excessive for a 3.5, especially one that is practically stock?

but i also have a intercooler that i would like to put on but trying to figure out to put it on
lol wtf- what do you plan to do with an intercooler- you have no boost...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bumpin96monte

lol wtf- what do you plan to do with an intercooler- you have no boost...
be able to say he has one...lol

Quick Reply: what can i do with the 3.5l to get mor hp