Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Electric CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Default Electric CAI?

I was talking to my friend who owns a Jetta turbo about intake systems I could do for my 98 because there is no aftermarket thats not junk. He said there was a kit you could buy that runs off a little 9v battery and you put a button inside your car where ever and when you push it a little fan sucks air into it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? To me it sounds too good to be true. Don;t know the brand but hsould find out later.

He also said it was around $40 and well worth it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM

sounds like it is one of the electric turbos you can get off of ebay. they dont work they end up blocking more air then they can flow.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Good to here now. Anyone else have any insite?

Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM

sounds like more of hassle to me, but if it's only $40, it might not be a bad thing to try out. on the other hand if it's only $40, you might question the integrity/quality of the part. just my 2 cents.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Don't do it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM

i would have to agree with 2000. all the fan does is block airflow. ask your friend for some proof

Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

not with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like something that belongs on a Volkswagen

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM

So from what i'm piecing together from you is its like a CAI, but it actually blocks it untill you hit the button, then it sucks air in from where ever?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM

It is not a CAI. A CAI is an air filter in an enclosed box that gets clean air from the front of the car and typically replaces the current air box in most cases.

What you are describing is an electric turbo. When an engine is running and the piston is doing the intake stroke it sucks air into the cylinder using vacuum physics. The idea of the electric turbo is to push more air into the cylinder to create boost and at face value this works.

The problem is that anyone with basic math skills can figure out that it really hampers our engines.

For those without math skills here is the basic idea.

Engine: 3400 = 3.4 Liters of air per revolution.
RPM: rotations per minute - we will use this to determine flow over 1 minute of time.
4000 RPM - Approximately the best spot in your powerband. Read as approximate - I don't have a dyno sheet to be positive to compare with so it won't be exact.

So, 3.4 Liters X 4000 rpm = 13600 Liters of air pass through your engine every minute. This converts to 480 Cubic Feet.

Most of the electric turbos don't say how much flow there is. Some say 55,000 rpm, but we don't know how much is being actually pushed through.

I did find this site that claims 800 CFM: http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products-eram.html

Now if that claim is correct it would be good. This company also has ALOT of indepth info regarding their product. It also costs $300. The cheap ones on ebay don't have any real info and I don't think are up to scratch.

I did the math on them once and found out that they are good until you hit 2000 rpm.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
Engine: 3400 = 3.4 Liters of air per revolution.
That number is actually divided by 2 because it is a 4 stroke engine. It takes 720* of crankshaft rotation to complete the intake and exhaust cycles for all cylinders, not 360* like in a 2 stroke engine.

Regardless of the math- he's 100% right. Do you really think a little tiny electric fan can move sufficient air to exceed the airflow that the engine can consume? Even worse if you're talking about one that can run off a 9 volt battery- thats like expecting a computer case fan to flow enough air to supply your engine- its not gonna happen.

Its not even worth 'trying it' for $40- its more of a liability than anything, especially since its installed after the air filter. If that piece of chinese garbage comes apart- its going right into your engine.

Quick Reply: Electric CAI?