Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

The truth about muffler deletes....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mwjames
I've heard some say that if your exhaust is to big at the end even if its open it can create more back pressure, example 2.5 pipe can create less back pressure than one twice it's size. Same drive train. I'm not 100% on this theory could very well be true though.

I don't know where you read this or who told you this but it is complete bunk. Larger piping will reduce backpressure - not increase it.

Originally Posted by mwjames
My buddy had a throttle body saturn, muffler fell off and he decided to add a really nice magnaflow can to it. After that his car was amazingly fast for what it was. My fuel injected version could not keep up until the end of 4th gear (100+mph). Point of the story is my buddy added extra back pressure and his low end power increased greatly high end power didn't seem to suffer, mpg's were still good to. To this day that engine runs perfectly but he's managed to shred a tranny and crack 2 sub- frames and for now it sits.

Simply changing your muffler will not make that significant of an increase in power. Adding backpressure will not increase low end power, it will move the power band lower into the rpm range. This would cause the car to pull a little harder out of the hole which is why you and him think he increased power. The idea that he increased bottom end power without sacrificing top end power defies physics. Plain and simple, if you increase bottom end power you sacrifice some top end power. If you increase top end power you will sacrifice some bottom end power. Any other 'increase' in power you think was achieved is completely psychosomatic because of the tonal change of the exhaust.

When it comes to exhaust the name of the game is increasing flow velocity to improve scavenging. The more efficiently you can evacuate the cylinder the fresher and larger the fuel/air charge. THIS is what increases power.