Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Seeking truth about resonator delete???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Default Seeking truth about resonator delete???

Hey folks - Quick question if anyone can help me out - Long story short, my resonator (on 03 3.4L LS) is damaged and leaking. Accidental and unavoidable off-roading incident..anyways.. Any place I go and ask about replacing the resonator with a straight pipe gives me horror stories about it. Yet I look online and everywhere and don't see that same information. Of course the garage will make more money if I'm buying a whole new resonator etc., but just wanted to get some "for sure I have done it before" type of knowledge from other Monte owners. I'm not really looking for extreme performance, and don't care if its a little louder, but what I've specifically been told by 3+ places seem far fetched - So I ask

1. 2-3 mpg decrease to delete resonator? How true is that?
2. They say it will be "much louder", maybe enough so to warrant a noise pollution ticket.....? Really? Straight pipe yea, but resonator delete alone?
3. It may down the line throw a CEL or damage O2 sensors...

How true are these statements? Anyone have experience with this ONE MOD as far as noise is? I'd rather pay 1/3 and pipe it than replace the resonator...

PS - Since when have archived posts dissappeared when they go more than a few months back, anyone know?

And information is appreciated - This site really saves my $$ sometimes, and all your cars are sick lol -Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hello DenaliZO6... I'm set-up with a u-bend delete into a straight pipe (resonator delete) out through dual Magnaflows... I can tell you for certain that it in no way is too loud... It is a bit louder than stock, although it is also a little more raspy and over time it gets even more raspy... When I need to replace my exhaust again I will change one thing, I will put back a shorter resonator as I like the lower tone sound... I have read here that a 14"-16" resonator is about where you want to be... Mine has the 3.8 n/a if that makes a difference... In the end, it is up to you what sort of sound you like and don't like... You can also view exaust videos on the net to help you decide... Hope this helps...

PS - I noticed no mpg drop at all...

edit: forgot to mention that I do run a hi-performance Magnaflow cat also...

Last edited by Crusader SS; 01-22-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Additional info...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO, from info I've gathered, the resonator delete gives you nothing. Except addition cabin noise. Out the tailpipe (or outside the vehicle) you will not likely notice any additional noise. I can't see any improvement performance wise either. The car will be minimally lighter - that's pretty much the whole performance gain. When I re-did my exhaust in custome 3", I still put in a 3" resonator because I am convinced it does not affect performance

Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
IMO, from info I've gathered, the resonator delete gives you nothing. Except addition cabin noise. Out the tailpipe (or outside the vehicle) you will not likely notice any additional noise. I can't see any improvement performance wise either. The car will be minimally lighter - that's pretty much the whole performance gain. When I re-did my exhaust in custome 3", I still put in a 3" resonator because I am convinced it does not affect performance
Agreed... I forgot to mention that the drone noise in the cabin does increase, for me it's not a big deal, however it is noticeable...

Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I have no interior drone or excess sound outta mine & im straigt off the dp 2 1/2" pipe to the stock mufflers, no cat ubend or res, wouldnt recomend the cat though

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Haha who ever told you that is full of crap, and I would suggest you find another shop. My monte has headers, no car, no res, and stock mufflers, and it is no louder then it was stock.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

1) Plain and simple NO. If anything, you might even gain a little mileage.
2) It will indeed be louder, but I doubt you'll get a ticket over it. Some cops are jerks and will give you a ticket if it's louder then stock, others won't even look at you.
3) Absolutely NOT. The resonator doesn't have anything to do with any sensors or CEL's. No worries there.

Obviously the people that you have talked to don't know what they're talking about. I've had EVERYTHING removed on my exhaust and either replaced or gone for good. I currently run headers, no cat, aftermarket mufflers, and no res. I will admit, my car is loud, but that's because I've removed a lot more then what you're talking about removing.

Have no fear and just remove the res. You'll be fine.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I ditched my resinator two years ago no problem whatsoever.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I say save your self some money and remove it

Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM

I haven't done it on my Monte yet but on ppl I know who have had that done it sounded a little better. I even have a friend from church with a 3.1 with resonator delete that sounds pretty darn good for a 3100

Quick Reply: Seeking truth about resonator delete???