Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight pipes & open headers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your looking for that "BADASS" Unique sound. Loud with great performance and a tone like no other?

Heres what I would go with....Straight pipes off the headers (3 " OD pipes)
To a nice set of Glasspacks (preferrably cherry bombs)... I recommend before you instahl them...(Take them to a safe place..Pour gasoline into them and set them on fire and burnout all the fiberglass packing). Then run a 4 foot straight pipe off the headers collector. (use an H pipe for balance) attach the Cherry bomb to the 4 ft pipe.. From there run a 90 degree Mandrel bend Pipe outwards just before the rear wheels....

This in my opinion is for 1 legal on the streets..(since your in florida)
and the LOUD PEDAL factor is around 350+ dbs... (Depending on the ponys your pushing) Which also gives you just enuff back pressure to get the maximum performance out of it! Chevrolets are known to need some back pressure for best performance!
Open headers are usually best for motors ..(Like mountain motors) 383 BIG BLOCKS or a on kill 572 etc etc.......
From the sounds of it your not going that huge on CI's at least as of yet. Even if you did use Mountain motor big block....This kinda system would also work ...For a Strip Street setup!!! (When your at the strip..open them headers up!)

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-05-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This thread is from 2010

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
This thread is from 2010

It maybe...But, Someone must have been searchn this thread for something....

So, I added my 2 cents.....Just incase someone needs the correct setup!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM

ROFL @ you guys ;-) one other neat trick for the glass packs is to get your engine good and warm / hot preferablly, but not over temp. pull up to the car wash and spay into that hot exhaust pipes, some nice cold water. (just don't get carried away and plug off most of the exhaust till you get water going up beyond the collectors, that's a no no) You want just enough cold water to soak up them glass packs.

You will like the sound when you leave the carwash

Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Well I certainly enjoyed the read

Old 10-10-2022, 07:18 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How loud a straight piped setup is depends on if you’re just running a basic muffler delete or running a full straight pipe from the headers back. Assuming you're referring to a full straight piped setup, it will be insanely loud but will sound incredible on a muscle car in my opinion. I’ve ran many straight piped setups on various cars and I think it is undoubtedly the way to go. Open headers will be even louder and your A/F ratio will most likely be thrown off a little but you’ll be fine. The sound of open headers is the most brutally loud setup you could possibly run on the car and it will sound beautiful like a true drag car. However the sound of the engine from inside the car will be much much more audible compared to straight pipes and you’ll be subject to exhaust fumes constantly filling the cab. I’d rather run a straight pipe from the headers back though because I think the exhaust pipes give just the right amount of resonance needed for the car to sound perfect. Plus cars just look better when you can see the tailpipes exiting the back.