Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers/Intake/Exhaust (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/)
-   -   straight pipes & open headers?? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-13/straight-pipes-open-headers-22611/)

reaper18769 08-11-2010 03:13 PM

straight pipes & open headers??

I have a (86 SS) is their a difference between straight pipes and open headers? Because I would like to get rid of my old mufflers and alot of people are saying save the money and just do straight pipes cause I want it to sound badass! :-), and if its illegal/as loud like open headers, I installed my headers a few days ago, than drove about 5 miles to my exhaust guy to connect the pipes and MAN was loud I was nausious once I got there. But it was deffenetly a fun experience!

Budsjlm 08-11-2010 03:22 PM

i'd say go with like strait back to a set of muffs befor the rear axle with some dumps, if you want strait trought desighn grab a set of glass packs, they will get louder as time goes on as you blow out the fiberglass,

with the glas packs you can kind of tune ir to your liking if you want louder just put them closer to they headers, a little mellower at idle still sound good on it put them further back

HPNOTIQracing 08-11-2010 03:55 PM

open header means only the headers then nothing.
straight piped is whats above then a straight open pipe all the way to the back

03SS/00GSE/93LX 08-11-2010 04:43 PM

Straight pipes will not be nearly as loud as open headers- they'll be plenty loud, but open header exhaust is retarded loud.

I'd look into using an H-pipe setup- provided your 86' SS has a healthy mill in it, a H-pipe setup with no mufflers and with tails out the back (or with good sounding mufflers) will really sound great. Plus, the H-pipe will help a bit with performance by increasing scavenging.

bumpin96monte 08-11-2010 06:42 PM

Aside from outside volume- you've got to think that open headers will be much louder inside the car. With pipes to get the sound shooting away from the cabin, you won't have nearly as much interior resonance- or overall volume inside the car.

reaper18769 08-12-2010 07:57 AM

Ok thanks guys, I know the difference between the two in general, I ment the difference between sound and performance, so I'm gonna go with 2 duel glasspacks and its ah dine deal. Lol

Thanks again

reaper18769 08-12-2010 08:04 AM

You know when you got that person right next to you at a stop light or pulling in somewhere and all you hear is his car rumbling, blum blum blum blum, THAT'S! What I want. Lol

03SS/00GSE/93LX 08-12-2010 08:11 AM

What engine is in your car?

Get yourself a nice 10.5:1+ 350 with a decent performance cam and you'll get the sound you want. :)

Silverado350 01-04-2013 05:54 PM

well im a derby guy and we blow header gaskets all the time, its a cheap fix but for street use not a good idea, go with a single muffler with 2 ins and 2 outs for better sound and its legal lol

Enzo354 01-04-2013 06:51 PM

I put about 2000 miles on my 86 Monte with a 350 in it, with open headers. I never had a problem, I liked the loud though, and didn't have a radio for about half of that lol.