Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Speed Daddy Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:47 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Glad they went to a good home... They where too loud inside for me.
My corvette has headers and side pipes ,It's not as loud inside as monte was..
That's the difference between a rumble and a drone.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Jerry,

What kind of headers did you have that made the monte a little noisy inside ? (I would prefer my monte quiet, not sure if brand makes a difference though ??

Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 AM

I have been trying to install these speed daddy headers on my 3.8 swap in my 1997 monte. I have run into all kinds of fitmit issues. the Crossover pipe didn't want to fit the rear header, and the rear header is resting on the firewall. I hope I can get these to work.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:19 AM

hey im trying to install these speed daddy headers on my 02 top swap. wat bolt/stud size do i need. im having a hard time finding the rite size.
thanks

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
I went with the ones that have the 3 inch outlet. Still bolts up to my 2.5 inch SLP cat back.

If you're going to do headers (which I would if I were you ) I'd recommend getting a few extra things:

Two 2.5" band clamps for crossover
Two 3" band clamps for downpipe section
EGR block off plates from ZZPerformance. --->ZZPerformance - EGR Block Off Plate #
o2 extension, also from ZZPerforamnce.--->Easy Performance - O2 Extension Harness #EP-O2EXHN
and use a lot of high-temp rtv (I used the orange stuff)

Also I wouldn't use the provided gaskets (they tend to blow out after a few thousand miles). I just cleaned up my original gaskets and used them

Keep in mind you won't have a cat. Just in case you have emissions you need to pass. Luckily I don't have to worry about that where I'm located.

If you plan on getting a tune in the future you'll probably want them to delete the codes that will be thrown from deleting egr and some o2 codes.
Let's say I delete the egr and have zzp tune the PCM to remove codes. Do u no if that'll cause an issue with inspections..? I'm looking to do the job soon n need to figure this out.
Thanks

Old 05-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Let's say I delete the egr and have zzp tune the PCM to remove codes. Do u no if that'll cause an issue with inspections..? I'm looking to do the job soon n need to figure this out.
Thanks
What state are you in / what king of "inspection" do you need to pass? I did headers with a cat delete, & went back to stock mufflers (the others were too loud for my liking) Yes, EGR programing and some O2 codes will need to be set in the PCM if you go with out a Cat. As far as "inspection" if anyone puts the car on a hoist, it's not difficult to tell that there is no CAT and no bung for the rear O2 sensor. (I actually ordered my replacement exhaust with the bung & that is where I put my wideband sensor, which you won't need unless you plan to do the tuning yourself & you plan to tune / modify on a semi regular basis)

Do you have to pass emission tests?

Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 PM

whats the price of speed daddys vs pacesetters? ive heard both are good but pacesetters are a little harder to get lined up perfect,if delete the cat and 02 sensor what do I do with the sensor? il have to get a pcm tune anyways since im going from a 3.4 to a 3.8 swap

Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM

You can spend anywhere from $200 - $800+ on headers. Speed Daddy is probably the cheapest; I did the pace setter ceramic ones, as long as everything is lined up good, I didn't have any problems with "fit" below are some options...

Stainless SS Racing Manifold Header Exhaust Grand Prix GTP Regal Impala 3 8L V6 | eBay

ZZPerformance - ZZP Stainless Headers #ZZ-HDR-38

Pacesetter - Pacesetter Headers #PSH-70

97-08 Grand Prix, 97-05 Regal, 00-05 Monte Carlo SS, Impala PaceSetter Headers

TOG headers might be another option; if you don't have to have them NOW, check out the for sale section here, as well as 3800pro Every now and then you can find a set of headers for .50 / .75 cents on the $1.

If memory serves, in the 05 & newer, you need to keep the front O2 sensor for fuel trims. The rear 02 and EGR aren't needed, they will be programmed out in the PCM tune.

Without looking it up, I think the 04 & older models don't even need the front O2 with a proper tune...

Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't forget SSACs, they're cheap with large primaries, but are mild steel IIRC

Old 06-07-2015, 12:04 AM

NY state. Mainly computer n emissions. Not worried about the visuals. I'm gna do it wit out the cat, egr block off and the ext O2 bung. Gna see if I get a code or not.
Originally Posted by Ace25
What state are you in / what king of "inspection" do you need to pass? I did headers with a cat delete, & went back to stock mufflers (the others were too loud for my liking) Yes, EGR programing and some O2 codes will need to be set in the PCM if you go with out a Cat. As far as "inspection" if anyone puts the car on a hoist, it's not difficult to tell that there is no CAT and no bung for the rear O2 sensor. (I actually ordered my replacement exhaust with the bung & that is where I put my wideband sensor, which you won't need unless you plan to do the tuning yourself & you plan to tune / modify on a semi regular basis)

Do you have to pass emission tests?